Update 6/15: The two officers involved in the shooting have been identified as Corporal Michael Paredes and Officer Joseph Santana. Both men were El Monte natives with Paredes spending more than 20 years in the force. Santana was with the police department less than a year.

Paredes is survived by his wife and two children and Santana is survived by his wife and three children.

The suspect in the shooting was identified as Justin William Flores and was also killed in the line of fire.

Original Article:

Two El Monte PD officers are dead after responding to an emergency call that escalated to a shooting Tuesday.

The 4:47 p.m. call involved a possible stabbing at the Siesta Inn on Garvey Avenue, with the officers taking gun fire upon arrival, according to El Monte officials.

“There are no words to describe our grief and devastation by this senseless act as we learned about the passing of two of our police officers,” a joint statement by the city of El Monte, El Monte Police Department and El Monte Police Officers Association said. “It weighs heavy on our hearts and we are sending our support to their families. We would also like to thank the El Monte community and our surrounding government agencies for the outpouring support we have received in the last few hours.”

The two officers were shot and transported to the Los Angeles County USC Medical center where they were pronounced dead.

The suspect was also shot and killed in the incident and has yet to be identified.

As of this writing, the officers have also not been identified.

Officials said the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department had taken over the investigation.

The shooting comes on the heels of a CHP officer being shot and critically in Studio City after a routine traffic stop Monday.

The suspect for that shooting, Pejhmaun Iraj Khosroabadi, 33, was taken into custody Tuesday after being pursued by a K-9 unit and tracked to a Van Nuys homeless encampment. Khosroabadi was wanted for attempted murder of a peace officer with investigators concluding that a physical altercation occurred during the stop before shots were fired.

The officer was transported and treated at Cedars Sinai Medical Center.

Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.