One female student remains hospitalized at Torrance Memorial Medical Center after Friday's lunchtime “cooking accident” at North High School left ten students with injuries. As part of a fundraising activity to benefit Unicef, the students were cooking Korean BBQ to sell to other students when a portable single-burner butane stove malfunctioned, creating an instantaneous fireball or vapor explosion approximately 10-to-15 feet in diameter, according to Torrance Fire Department captain Bob Gebel.

The six students most seriously injured, with 1st- and 2nd-degree burns over their faces, necks and hands, were taken to burn units, four to County USC and two to Torrance Memorial. Flash burns tend to be 1st- or 2nd-degree, said Gebel, and typically do not cause permanent damage. The student who remains hospitalized is in stable condition, according to Torrance Memorial spokesperson Anne O' Brien; no word on when she'll be released. The incident, meanwhile, remains under fire-department investigation.

Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.

LA Weekly