It’s National Chili Day and if you’re a fan of The Office comedy series, who can unforget the cold open of the “Casual Friday” episode, when Kevin Malone brings in a huge pot of his “Kevin’s Famous Chili” for his coworkers to enjoy, only to spill it everywhere.
Not only did we track down Kevin’s Famous Chili recipe,” we also managed to dig up a clip of the episode for reference from the series which is currently streaming exclusively on Peacock,
Kevin’s Famous Chili Recipe Courtesy of Peacock
1 lb. 85/15 lean ground beef
1 (12 oz.) coarsely chopped yellow onion
1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 (about 1 oz.) dried ancho chiles
1 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Toppings of your choice (shredded cheese, scallions, etc.)
- Combine beef and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté until meat and onion are browned (the trick is to undercook the onions).
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, toasted ancho chilis, and water.
- Season with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Boil on a low-heat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes while covered.
- Add the toppings of your choice (shredded cheese, scallions, etc.).
Editor’s Note: If you want your onions undercooked, stir in half a cup of raw chopped onions about 10 minutes before serving.