L.A. billboards advertise all sorts of things — upcoming films, non-profit organizations or strip clubs. But in an earlier time, more billboards were all about music.
Robert Landau's new book Rock 'n' Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip displays the rise of that music genre and its influence through hand-painted ads on Sunset Blvd. Here are some photos from the book to that will take you back to a groovier time.
10. 10cc / Deceptive Bends, (1977, Mercury)
9. Rolling Stones / Love You Live, (1977, Rolling Stones/Atlantic)
8. Crosby, Stills and Nash (1970)
7. Donna Summer / Live and More (1978, Casablanca)
Up next: Pink Floyd
6. Pink Floyd / Animals, (1977, Columbia)
5. Cher / Take Me Home (1979, Casablanca)
4. Randy Newman / Born Again (1979, Warner Bros./Reprise)
Up next: Linda Ronstadt
3. Linda Ronstadt / Living in the USA (1978, Asylum)
2. UFO / Obsession (1978, Chrysalis)
1. The Sunset Strip in Los Angeles, California, c. 1979