In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "But the idea that a tip is optional, or variable, is a useful fiction, even when the soup goes tumbling into your lap." 10 Handy Rules For Tipping.
- "Before every neighborhood boasted its own gelato shop, before bacon and Fernet-Branca began showing up in frozen treats, before premium ice cream became ultra-premium, there was Al Gelato." 30 Scoops in 30 Days: Al Gelato (Day 30).
- "If you've driven past Pal Cabron in Koreatown this week and wondered why the doors are closed and the gate is locked, it's official." CLOSED: Pal Cabron (& Natura Oaxacan Juice Bar).
- "Stop going to cramped lounges with DJs who won't play anything good for more than two choruses, places where a whiskey costs more than a car wash." Venice Bar Report: Roosterfish.
- "Hmmm... Korea doesn't sound all that different from the world of graft and advertorial that passes for most of the "lifestyle" writing in the United States." Korean Doc Exposes Shady World of Restaurant Bribes.
- "It's true. No one's ever scooped up a chicken wing, blistered and shaking off a livid hot sauce cloak, dragged it through a cup of creamy dressing, and, upon snapping it up, proclaimed: 'Tastes like frog.'" Outpost Frog Fry: Music, Chicken Wings, Homemade Hot Sauce + Frogs Legs.
- "However, it should not be an impossible commodity, as elusive as unicorn tears or a Cabbage Patch doll circa Christmas 1983." An Open Letter to OpenTable re: LudoBites 007.
- "I'd brush my teeth with it, if I had a chance." Ask Mr. Gold: Yuzu Ramen + Purple Foods That Start With "Q".