In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "For many years, American chardonnay has been a wine category that cognoscenti love to hate, a wine whose ubiquity, confected stylings and bloat have more or less condemned it to a reputation for mediocrity, a wading pool of a wine, epitomizing the shallow waters of American taste." Chardonnay? Yes, Really: 5 Great Chardonnays for the Holidays.
- "What do you get when an O.C. food truck heads northward with a permanent brick-and-mortar spot in mind?" TLT Food Brings O.C.'s Lime Truck to Westwood.
- "Here you can see evidence of Nobu before he became, well, Nobu." 18: Matsuhisa's Yellowtail Scallion Donburi.
- "So if health concerns won't sway you to watch your salt intake, perhaps vanity will." The Salty Six: The American Heart Assn. Names 6 Common High Sodium Foods.
- "Well, you're going to have to eat beach sandwiches now, as Shoemaker closed Savory today." Savory in Malibu Closes.
- "Go to these places now. Don't wait. This may be your last chance to immerse yourself in a vanishing world." 10 Best Classic Mid-Century Restaurants in L.A.: Pretend You're in Mad Men.
- "What was it about sharing an innocent meal that could trigger such worries?" Now There's Scientific Proof: Eating Out With an Ex Can Cause Jealousy.
- "When did the Old Fashioned become old fashioned?" Fall Drinks, Part 2: The Old Fashioned.
More playing with food:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.