Los Angeles is in the midst of a historic housing crises, with home prices and rents far outpacing what the average Angeleno earns.
The high end of the market really demonstrates just how ridiculously expensive living in this town can be. One L.A. County home even reportedly sold for $102 million last year, a figure that competes with the highest real estate prices anywhere in the world.
Real estate website PropertyShark recently crunched the numbers and came up with a list of the 10 most expensive home sales in our market by square footage. The $102 million sale isn't included, but the numbers below are nonetheless astonishing.
The PropertyShark list covers transactions in 2014. It shows that the biggest properties don't always fetch the highest per-square-foot prices.
Buying a relatively smaller place at the beach can be a pricey proposition, for example. One of the most expensive homes on the list measures only 808 square feet.
Read 'em and weep:
10. 9050 St. Ives Dr., Hollywood Hills. Price: $12,550,000. Square feet: 3,381. Price per square foot: $3,712.
9. 9380 Sierra Mar Dr., Hollywood Hills. Price: $19,000,000. Square feet: 5,047. Price per square foot: $3,765.
8. 1616 Blue Jay Way, Hollywood Hills. Price: $12,000,000. Square feet: 3,182. Price per square foot: $3,771.
7. 10231 Charing Cross Rd., Holmby Hills. Price: $45,000,000. Square feet: 11,637. Price per square foot: $3,867.
6. 28815 Grayfox St., Malibu. Price: $14,000,000. Square feet: 2,883. Price per square foot: $4,856.
5. 22432 Pacific Coast Hwy., Malibu. Price: $28,800,000. Square feet: 5,794. Price per square foot: $4,971.
4. 1255 Angelo Dr., Beverly Crest. Price: $18,400,000. Square feet: 3,502. Price per square foot: $5,254.
3. 23916 Malibu Rd., Malibu. Price: $20,000,000. Square feet: 3,640. Price per square foot: $5,495.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
2. 117 34th St., Manhattan Beach. Price: $4,500,000. Square feet: 808 (!). Price per square foot: $5,569.
1. 28820 Cliffside Dr., Malibu. Price: $13,300,000. Square feet: 1,655. Price per square foot: $8,036.
Put us down for one square foot. We'll buy the rest next time ...