A teenager who died after she attended the Hard Summer festival in August succumbed to an ecstasy overdose, the L.A. County Department of Coroner ruled this month.
Despite a common misperception in the rave scene that MDMA deaths are caused mostly by adulterated pills, toxicology tests turned up no other drugs in the system of 19-year-old Emily Tran, Capt. John Kades told L.A. Weekly today.
The official cause of death, he said, was listed as ...
... "acute MDMA intoxication."
Organizers said the teen from Anaheim had seizures at the two-day, DJ-driven festival before passing away at a hospital.
The coroner's office recorded her death as occurring at 5:40 a.m. Aug. 4 at Greater El Monte Community Hospital.
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends," Hard said in a statement following the revelation of Tran's death in August.
It was the second death in two years for Hard, the first of which involved a young man who died of natural causes.
The event was held this year at Whittier Narrows Recreation Area, which might not be welcoming the party back next summer.
Many in the rave scene, apparently inspired by the pill-testing organization DanceSafe, believe that ecstasy deaths are caused by adulterated MDMA.
But in all the ecstasy deaths we've covered over the years, never has a coroner's report concluded that an adulterant was to blame.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
In some cases multiple-drug use was blamed, however, but never so-called "bad ecstasy." Molly has killed, time and again, often all on its own.
Here are some stories to consider:
*10 Raver Deaths in 5 Years: Ecstasy Often Blamed
*Brent Shapiro’s Final Hours
*'EDC' Raver Teen Sasha Rodriguez Died From Ecstasy Use
*Emily McCaughan, EDC Vegas Raver Who Fell to Her Death, Had Ecstasy, GHB in Her System
*EDC Vegas Raver Anthony Anaya Died of Ecstasy, Cocaine, Alcohol
*EDC Vegas Raver Montgomery Tsang Died From an Ecstasy Overdose