I won't deny it. Things started spiraling rapidly downhill the moment I started compiling mixtapes of my favorite non-hip hop songs released this year. Vampire Weekend? Santogold? Hercules & The Love Affair? I kind of wanted to kick my own ass or at the very least give myself a wedgie. Of course, music is music and it's stupid to let one's natural "hater" inclinations stop them from enjoying something good, regardless of how stupid their haircuts and/or facial hair are (save for arguably Man Man). Still, there's something deeply troubling in my nagging suspicion that these muxtapes were compiled by someone in a Fruity Loops hoodie, a pair of $2 neon green sunglasses and a mustache lustrous enough to be the toast of Echo Park.
So snipe away in the comments section if you will. You can even call me that increasingly meaningless* perjorative, "hipster." All I can really say in my anti-hipster defense is that I still eat hamburgers at In-N-Out, can dunk a basketball and am hitting .368 with a .680 slugging percentage in my Saturday hardball Baseball league (Go Buzz). Now if you'll excuse me it's time to put on a headband and cut my hair in fashionable yet unflattering manner. Good day.
* The word "hipster," of course, only being meaningless when used to potentially describe me.
(Track listing After the Jump)
1. Hot Chip - Hold On
2. The Hold Steady - Sequestered In Memphis
3. Vampire Weekend - I Stand Corrected
4. Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
5. Cloudland Canyon - Krautwerk
6. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules Theme
7. Times New Viking - Drop-Out
8. Crystal Castles - Crimewave (Crystal Castles VS HEALTH)
9. Lykke Li - I'm Good, I'm Gone
10. Black Mountain - Wucan
11. Santogold - Say Aha
12. The Black Keys - So He Won't Break
1. Erykah Badu - The Healer
2. The Kills - Tape Song
3. Muslims - Extinction
4. Mezzanine Owls-Ghost Ship
5. No Age - Ripped Knees
6. The Raconteurs - Carolina Drama
7. The Mae Shi - Run To Your Grave
8. King Khan & the Shrines - Torture
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
9. The Raveonettes - Aly, Walk With Me
10. Islands - Creeper
11. Wolf Parade - Fine Young Cannibals
12. My Morning Jacket - Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2