It's a commonly understood fact among electronic dance music fans that a Fabric mix is a pretty big deal for a DJ, an indication that he or she has "arrived." It's perhaps the most exclusive and respected series of mixes coming out these days; each year the legendary London club asks a handful of the best DJs to compile one, and from there you can pretty much guarantee that the DJs will have their next year of weekends booked. It's a big deal is what we're saying.
Tonight LA's John Tejada celebrates the release of his Fabric 44 mix -- and the first Fabric mix from any LA DJ. It's a smart, deep minimal techno mix that moves from bumping tracks to softer ambient ones, includes a few nice selections from the Palette All-Stars (Tejada's "band" with co-conspirator Arian Leviste) and a number of others from Tejada's Palette Recordings. If you're not a fan, think again and head down to Nacional. (We'll have a longer review of the mix in the weeks to come, but for now check out Dennis Romero's LA Weekly feature on Tejada from 2008.
John Tejada - Fabric 44 tracklist
01. dave hughes - let's do it
02. pigon - kamm
03. namlook - subharmonic atoms
04. donnacha costello - colorseries olive b
05. wax - wax10001
06. nekes - cristal
07. alex cortez - phlogiston ep
08. palette all-stars - downtown hotel
09. palette all-stars - after school special
10. eqd - equalized001
11. john tejada & justin maxwell - benus boats
12. john tejada & arian leviste - m track 1
13. orbital - fahrenheit 303
14. john tejada - torque
15. m-core - be gene
16. john tejada & arian leviste - forbidden planet
17. substance - relish (shed remix)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
18. spooky - candy
19. john tejada - the open
20. lj kruzer - huba (plaid's 15 years lost remix)
Nacional is located at 1645 Wilcox Ave. (http://www.nacional.cc)