[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #414
Fanatic! I am currently in Mexico City. I am here to see the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of Rock & Roll, Mr. Iggy Pop, play three shows. The first one was last night. It’s a night on and a night off. Iggy and the band were great. They played in front of more than 60,000 people. Metallica is closing the show. Years ago, I decided that it would be a good idea to see Iggy play as much as I could, so when he finally does hang up his spikes, I will have done my best.
Now that the sun is down, I am on the street, checking things out. I am at a coffee place, watching people go by. The weather is cool and perfect for hanging out.
As you know, Fanatic, to a certain extent, we make our show according to season and light cycle. I know that one person’s warm-weather listen is another’s winter favorite. I also know that a lot of people think that all this is nonsense and they listen to what they want. All of that is fine with me, Fanatic. I just can’t help it, some music speaks to me at different times of the year. That being said, I reckon it’s springtime. I know the calendar says it starts March 20 but it’s feeling like spring to me.
Over the next few shows, I will start transitioning in some warmer-weather tracks. Nico is one of my favorite cold-weather artists. A while ago, I found two very rare Nico bootleg LPs and was intending to play them last month but forgot. I am going to wait until at least November to check them out. I know that’s ridiculous but that’s how I am. There’s plenty to listen to in the meantime.
Crystal Fairy LP on Ipecac is out right now and there will be a lot of great releases this year. Speaking of great records coming out this year, Larry Hardy at In the Red Records and I have a great Record Store Day release that’s being pressed up right now. We approved the test pressings a few days ago. It’s a co-release between In the Red and my label. I came to him last year with the idea, he was into it and we went to work. It’s going to be a great one.
Just in case you’re interested, I put together a show for Mutant Sounds. They do their show at Dublab. That goes out on Friday, March 10, at 2000 hrs. PST. Here is where you can get more information.
If I have time, I will write up show notes for that show as well, so you know what’s happening.
For now, let’s dig all the great tunes we have lined up right here, shall we?
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
01. Crystal Fairy - Secret Agent Rat / Crystal Fairy
02. Electric Eels – Stucco / Those Were Different Times
03. Charley Patton - Poor Me / Complete Recordings: 1929-1934
04. Edwin Starr - Easin' in / Can You Dig It? The Music & Politics of Black Action Films 1968-75
05. Deerhoof - Dispossessor / The Magic
06. The Urinals - Black Hole / Negative Capability .. .Check It Out!
07. The KVB - Lower Depths / ...Of Desire
08. King Tubby & Soul Syndicate - King Tubby's Key / Freedom Sounds in Dub
09. John Cale - Dead or Alive / Honi Soit
10. Slug – Elevator / Swingers
11. The Silhouettes - Bing Bong / Memories of Times Square Vol. 9
12. Birthday Party - Mr. Clarinet / The Birthday Party
13. Meatbodies – Touchless / Alice
14. The Horrors - Shadazz / Alan Vega 70th Vinyl Series - Radio Promo
15. Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds - La Araña / La Araña Es La Vida
16. Sort Sol - Hurricane Fighter Plane / The Violent Bear It Away
01. Drinks - I Am a Miserable Pig / Hermits on Holiday outtake
02. David Thomas - My Theory of Spontaneous Similitude/Red Tin Bus / Monster Walks the Winter Lake
03. No information – no information / mix CDR I got in Saudi Arabia
04. Swell Maps - Black Velvet / International Rescue
05. Living Eyes - Bad Example / Living Large
06. The Present Moment - The Distance Between Us / Loyal to a Fault
07. Seekae – Monster / The Worry
08. Pseudo Existors - Beyond the Zone / Stamp Out Normality
09. Dog Chocolate - Bent Wire Situation / Snack Fans
10. Mosquito Ego – Stew / Glomb
11. Spectres - Rubber Plant / Condition
12. Buzzcocks - Friends of Mine / Spiral Scratch
13. Filthy Little Star - White Bread / Community 4 - A Compilation of Hobart Music
14. Procedure Club - Questionable Tattoo / Pinky Swear
15. The Stooges - Asthma Attack / Music From the Motion Picture Gimme Danger
More from the mind of Henry Rollins:
White America Couldn't Handle What Black America Deals With Every Day
Bowie's Blackstar Is on the Level of Low and Heroes
No Matter Who Wins, America Is Only Going to Get Angrier