KCRW Broadcast #167 for Saturday, June 2, 2012
Fanatics! Hello from Vancouver, Canada. The Canadian dates have started and I am glad to be back on the road. Tonight's show is a great one all the way through. A great warm weather mix tape that I hope you will find to your liking.
You will note a artist in our show, namely Harry Howard, brother of Rowland, who has appeared as a player on some of our tracks over the years but never as the frontman of a band. Tonight, we check out Harry Howard and his band The Near Death Experience. I was given this cool record by our pal Dave Graney of Coral Snakes and Moodists fame, a few weeks ago. Dave plays bass on this record.
Being in Canada, I wanted to pay a little due respect to some of the great artists here, so you will note some of that going on in tonight's show.
I did the voice parts of tonight's show at the office a few days ago and enlisted the help of good ol' Heidi May. In the second hour, I put on a sound effects CD during our parts to see where that took us. Due to the nature of the mic, you really can't hear the sound effects, so you will hear me shouting for reasons that may seem a little out of reach. If you listen intently, you will kind of hear what we were going for. I sent all this in to Engineer X and asked if we should do it all over again and he said that no, it sounds perfectly ridiculous and fits the mood just right. So, you have all that to look forward to. At least the music is great.
We give the Felt Letters track another spin, after Ian MacKaye introduced it to us several weeks ago. It's such a great song, I thought you would like to hear it again. I play it all the time these days. More Total Control, more Anti-Job. It's a great two hours of music is plot loss.
As always, Fanatics, we do our best to keep you interested as best we can. In July, I want to push things a little. There are some longish tracks I want to bring in to see if they move you at all. Next week, we have some great and odd tracks to lay on you that I think you will dig.
Wonder what the hell Heidi and I are trying to do and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read Henry's tracklist below.
01. The Shangri-Las - Leader Of The Pack / Myrmidons Of Melodrama
02. D.O.A. - The Prisoner / Something Better Change
03. Ramones - Rockaway Beach / Rocket to Russia
04. Bad Brains - I / Banned In D.C.: Bad Brains Greatest Riffs
05. Devo - Going Under / New Traditionalists
06. Bo Diddley - Road Runner / His Best: The Chess 50th Anniversary Collection
07. Harry Howard & The NDE - Blood Test / Near Death Experience
08. Iggy Pop - Girls / New Values
09. Manu Chao - El Kitapena / La Radiolina
10. The Sunnyboys - Alone With You / This is Real
11. Pierced Arrows - Hills On Fire / Straight To The Heart
12. Suicide - Che / Suicide
13. David Bowie - Boys Keep Swinging / Lodger
14. Sun Ra - Love In Outer Space / Secrets Of The Sun
15. The Jive Five - Never Never Never / The Complete Recordings
16. The Detergents - Leader Of The Laundromat / The Many Faces Of Mono
17. Viletones - Screamin' Fist / A Taste Of Honey
18. Felt Letters - 600,000 Bands / single
19. Fat Worm Of Error - Mashed Potentate / Ambivalence And The Beaker
20. Brigitte Fontaine & Areski Belkacem - Le Ciel Est Doux / Vous Et Nous
21. The Son Of P.M. - James Bond Theme / Thai Beat A-Go-Go Vol. 01
22. The Fall - Surmount All Obstacles / Middle Class Revolt
23. Total Control - One More Tonight / Henge Beat
24. The Anti-Job - Quixotic Pleasure / Bloom
25. Sort Sol - Hurricane Fighter Plane / Fog Things
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
26. Sunn 0))) - Che / Sunn 0))) 10"
27. Acid Bath - What Color Is Death? / When the Kite String Pops
28. National Lampoon - Listener-Sponsored Radio / That's Not Funny, That's Sick
29. The Horrors - I Can See Through You / Skying