Cooking with LACMA invites chefs and culinary historians to teach recipes inspired by artworks at the museum. On Tuesday, February 9, Jocelyn Ramirez of Todo Verde, a plant-based Mexican food company, will be on hand for a live virtual cook-along inspired by Frida Kahlo’s painting Weeping Coconuts (Cocos gimientes)!
The program starts with an introduction of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo’s work and those that portray the artist in LACMA’s collection, presented by LACMA educator Vivian Lin. Then chef Ramirez will demonstrate step by step how to make vegan coconut flan. Prepare the listed ingredients ahead of time and let your Frida flag fly while interacting with the chef during the cook-along.
Caroline Styne of a.o.c and David Wiater from Grapevine Wine Company will host a series of winemaker evenings and thematic wine tastings. Hosted through Zoom, Friday Night Flights recreate the experience of being one-on-one with a winemaker, where you can enjoy a group tasting through a flight of carefully curated wines. The first in the series is scheduled for Friday, February 12.
Flying Embers taproom, the Brewery & Social Club which opened early November in the Arts District, reopens today for outdoor dining from 4 – 10 p.m. on Thursday and Friday; 2 – 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; and 4 – 10 p.m. on Monday. In addition to their hard kombuchas and hard seltzers on tap and specialty cocktails, Flying Embers has partnered with neighboring DTLA Arts District Comfort LA, and will be serving soul comfort food.
Ike’s Love & Sandwiches is opening in El Segundo on Thursday, February 11. The first 25 people in line starting at 10 a.m. will receive a free sandwich of choice and T-shirt. On Thursday, all 800+ sandwiches on the menu will be available for only $6 each for the day. New locations are coming to Culver City and Carson in the coming months.
Still looking for a fun Valentine’s Day gift? Try a class at the Institute of Culinary Education. Here’s their list of February classes.
- Valentine’s Day Strawberries & Cream Cupcakes (FREE) – Thursday, Feb. 11 from 12-1:30 pm
- Gift your loved ones a sweet treat of mini strawberry shortcake cupcakes in this free virtual class with Chef Tracy Wilk.
- Chocolate Tempering for Valentine’s Day – Wednesday, Feb. 10 from 10-11:30 am PT
- Learn the art of tempering chocolate under the guidance of Chef Tracy Wilk, then use your tempered chocolate to create Valentine’s Day chocolate confections.
- A Taste of Tuscany – Friday, Feb. 12 from 12-1:30 pm PT
- Travel to Italy with your amore for Valentine’s Day as Chef Tracy Zimmermann walks you through the secrets to this venerable cuisine.
- Valentine’s Day New York Steakhouse – Friday, Feb. 12 from 2-3:30 pm PT
- Spend quality time with a loved one creating your favorite steakhouse experience at home by making a New York strip with beurre maitre d’hotel, creamed spinach and truffled mashed potatoes.
- From Paris with Love – Sunday, Feb. 14 from 12:30-2 pm PT
- Take a trip to one of the world’s most romantic cities with your loved one to prepare your evening’s feast including frisee aux lardons, seared duck with red wine sauce, pommes puree and mousse au chocolat. Plus, top it off with a classic French 75.
- Valentine’s Day Surf & Turf – Sunday Feb. 14 from 3-4:30 pm PT
- Join us to create a celebratory meal while you fall in love with both your partner and the fresh ingredients and flavors. In this class, you’ll make crab cakes with lemon aioli, rib eye steak with bourbon-cream sauce, berries with champagne sabayon and more.