Lean, mean, protein-packed meatball machine! That is what your kitchen will be when you make these delicious chickpea and bison miso meatballs with hemp hearts and sesame seeds. Who doesn’t love a delicious, heart-healthy recipe made up of all things nourishing and delectable alike?
Bison meat is one of the leanest meats you can find, lower in fat than chicken but higher in protein than beef, it makes an ideal choice for anyone keeping track of their cholesterol, calories and sodium intake. So how do we up the ante even more when it comes to a healthy take on meatballs? We add hemp hearts, sesame and chickpeas of course!
Hemp hearts a great source of amino acids that can aid in heart health and lower blood pressure. Hemp hearts have a chewy-ish texture with a subtle nutty flavor, making them a great flavor addition to the bison. Similarly, chickpeas are another power-packed health food, high in protein and fiber. Sesame seeds are also packed with healthy fats, vitamins, fiber and minerals. Being high in healthy fats and Omega-3 fatty acids makes sesame seeds a great carrier for adding a little CBD oil or tincture to your meatballs if you so fancy. (Just drizzle over the top with your favorite sauce to complete the meal, or mix in with your meatball mixture before baking or pan-frying, be aware of heat!)
Read on for a deliciously healthy take on bison meatballs, flavored with a touch of miso and topped with sesame seeds. Your taste-buds, full stomach and healthy heart will thank you and be asking for more!
Ready in 25 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 1 lb ground grass-fed bison
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coco aminos
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chickpea miso
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking oil spray
- (Optional) 1 dropper full CBD oil for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Form 1-½ inch meatballs and lay them all 1 inch apart on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper sprayed with cooking oil, spray the top of the meatballs as well
- Bake in the oven for about 16 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160F
- Serve hot!
- (Optional) Drizzle your CBD oil on top prior to serving, OR add in mixture made in step 2 and proceed as instructed.
- Serve with white rice and sweet Thai chili sauce for a complete meal
- Alternatively, you can pan sear the meatballs in batches in a non-stick pan for about 4 minutes each side
- Be aware of heat when adding CBD oil to your recipes, try not to exceed temperatures of 350 degrees F. For more tips on cooking with CBD, click here.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.