Kakigori, Japanese-style shaved ice known for cloud-like fluffy ice, is teaming up with Wanderlust and popping up in Ice Cream Alley at Smorgasburg this Sunday, July 25. It will also be available at the Wanderlust Creamery Venice location on Saturday, August 14 and Sunday, August 15.
To celebrate the kick-off of the Olympics in Japan, Chipotle is honoring American athletes with limited-edition gold foil-wrapped burritos at participating locations in-restaurant and through digital orders starting today. This is the first time Chipotle has introduced gold foil nationwide since it celebrated its 18th anniversary and debuted gold foil-wrapped burritos in 2011. They’re also offering a $0 delivery fee on the Chipotle app and Chipotle.com through Sunday, August 1.
Attention Ted Lasso lovers – Apple TV+ is giving away free biscuits in Los Angeles this weekend. Fans and Angelenos should be on the lookout for the official Ted Lasso Biscuit Bus to get their free biscuits at the dates/times/locations specified below:
Saturday (July 24):
- 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – Commons at Calabasas
- 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm – Glendale Galleria
Sunday (July 25):
- 7:00 am to 1:00 pm – Studio City Farmers Market
- 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm – Encino Marketplace
Surf-inspired Qué Padre, a new fast-casual concept from Chef Isaias Peña, has opened in Palisades Village. The varied taco flavor profiles are inspired by Peña’s time spent in Sayulita, Todos Santos and Oaxaca. Menu highlights include Cochinita Pibil with habanero salsa and pickled onions from Tulum and Bohemia beer-battered halibut with chipotle aioli and jalapeño slaw. Other specialty tacos include pollo mole negro, beef birria, butter-poached lobster, nopales, and more. Diners can opt to have their tacos served traditionally with onions and cilantro, or fashioned into a bowl or salad for carb counters. The restaurant will also operate a grab-and-go window offering two limited items perfect for the morning beach rush: The 77 Breakfast Burrito with fried eggs, cheddar, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns and avocado in a flour tortilla and a cinnamon bun glazed with Mexican Chocolate.
Shappy Pretzel Co and Lincoln Beer Company are having a four-course pairing and tasting event on Saturday, July 31 beginning at 2 p.m. in their Burbank tasting room. Tickets are $20 in advance via the Lincoln Beer Company website and $22 at the door.
Saturday, July 24 is National Tequila Day and the annual Cocktail Crawl and Block Party will take place in downtown Santa Monica. Lanea, along with sister restaurant Cult, and The Craftsman on 2nd and Broadway will be celebrating with tequila, DJs, live music, and food and drink specials from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. The $25 tickets are available HERE and include:
- Cocktail Crawl Block Party with live DJs and bands
- Two drink tickets for tequila cocktails at Cult or Lanea
- One Tequila tasting ticket
- $8 featured tequila cocktails at each location
- Additional food and drink specials
- A chance to win a Grande Fiesta Pack from Lanea containing eight tacos of your choice, chips and pico de gallo, four handmade canned cocktails, a mini piñata and two signed canned cocktails by The Chainsmokers
And for those celebrating at home, here’s a spicy margarita recipe from Lobos 1707:
Hot Lima Recipe
1.5 oz Lobos 1707 Reposado
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
4 dashes Cholula hot sauce
Garnish: Lime wheel
Directions: Add all ingredients into a shaker, add ice and shake until chilled. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice and garnish.
*Fresh lime juice: Strain out the pulp after juicing
*Simple syrup: Equal parts of water and sugar
Long Beach Burger Week launches August 1-8, 2021 featuring burgers value-priced at $5, $10, $15 and $20. Some of the over-the-top burger offers include:
- The Risu – Shrimp Burger
- Fresh Kabobs – Kabob Burger
- The Crooked Duck – Burger Topped with Fritos and Chili
- Hungry Angelina – Vegan Patty Melt
- Polly’s Pies – Waffle Burger
- Little Brass Café – Cholula Smoked Gouda Breakfast “Burger”
- Long Beach Tap House – Truffle Shuffle Burger
- Komo’s Concina – Mexican Burger with Beef/Chorizo mix patty
- Derrick’s on Atlantic – Brunch Burger with Tater Tots
- V-Burger – Vegan patty topped with vegan mac & cheese
- Pin-up Kitchen – Burger shaped CAKES
Burger Week will kick off with five top Long Beach chefs and restaurateurs treating 250 homeless men, women and children to a multi-course burger lunch at Long Beach Rescue Mission on Tuesday, July 27. The lunch will feature burgers courtesy of Harris Ranch Beef.
What’s Popping Up is a weekly column in the L.A. Weekly that explores all that’s new in food and drink.