CBD is one of the most popular products in the natural supplement space today. Thanks to advancements in technology and a strong scientific understanding of how CBD works within the body, brands have been able to push the envelope to offer customers more and different types of CBD and CBD-related products like CBG oil. Our guide to the best CBG oil in 2023 will enlighten and educate you on a cannabinoid that’s quickly growing in popularity as well as lead you to some of the best CBG oil brands in today’s industry.
Top 5 CBG Oil Brands
When we set out to find our top five CBG oil brands, we took a lot of important factors into consideration. We looked at brand reputation, verified customer review, brand transparency, and overall quality of CBG oil, among other things. As we whittled down our list, these brands stood out above the rest. Our top five CBG oil brands are as follows:
- FAB CBD – Best Overall
- NuLeaf Naturals – Organic Ingredients
- Batch CBD – Backed by Science
- MedTerra – Affordable Product Pricing
- CBDistillery – Interesting Product Options
Factors We Considered in Selecting the Brands of CBG Oil
Before we began looking at various CBG oil brands, we came up with a list of some of the most popular brands in the industry. We then crafted a specific set of criteria to follow so that we could find the safest, most pure and potent, cleanest CBG oil for our readers. As we drafted our guidelines, we took into account:
- How long the brand has been in the industry
- The ingredients used to make the CBG oil
- Verified customer reviews
- If an independent third-party lab was used to routinely test the brand’s products for potency, purity, and quality
- If the third-party lab reports were published on the brands’ websites where customers can easily find them
- Hemp source
- Purity and effectiveness of the CBG oil
- Brand reputation
- The price of the products
In going through our guidelines, our list became much too long to handle. In order to present to readers the very best CBG oil brands, we cut the list down even more until only our top five brands remained.
5 Best CBG Oil Brands in 2023
Below are some of the best, most trusted, brands in the industry. Not only do these brands make clean and potent CBG oil, they are also highly transparent with customers and use high-quality ingredients in the making of all of their products.
#1 FAB CBD: Best Overall
FAB CBD made its first appearance in the CBD industry in 2017. Since then, the brand has pushed the envelope to come up with the best, cleanest, most effective CBD products. Thanks to recent industry buzz about CBG, the brand rose to the occasion and came up with the gold standard of CBG oils. Transparency is of utmost importance to FAB CBD, as well as top-notch, caring customer service, and creating the best CBD and CBG products in the industry.
Since the beginning, FAB CBD’s mission has been to assist customers in meeting all of their health goals through living a preventative wellness lifestyle. The brand has received the respect and trust of both customers and industry experts for being trustworthy, transparent, and caring. Since its inception, FAB CBD has been on a mission to craft the best quality CBD, CBG, and nutritional products for its customers.
The team at FAB CBD brings the brand’s mission to life everyday through its award-winning, caring, and kind customer service department, the crafting of its potent, clean, and effective CBD and CBG products, and its desire to be transparent with its customers. The verified customer reviews on the brand’s website help both new and existing customers learn how others are experiencing FAB CBD’s products in their lives. Lastly, FAB CBD’s award-winning customer service department has received some of the best industry and customer accolades. It’s for these reasons, and many more, that we’ve chosen FAB CBD as our number one CBG oil brand.
- Potent and clean products
- Carefully crafted, effective and pure CBG oil
- Warm and empathetic customer service department
- Uses science and innovation to push the envelope in the creation of its CBD, CBG, and nutritional products
- Strong belief in transparency
- Clean, organic hemp sourced from Colorado
- Uses state-of-the-art cloning and growing equipment and practices
- Uses industry preferred, clean CO2 extraction process to obtain extracts
- Products routinely tested by ProVerde Labs, an independent third-party lab, for purity and potency
- All lab reports can be found on the FAB CBD website
About FAB CBD’s CBD+CBG Oil
FAB CBD’s full-spectrum CBD+CBG Oil is the gold standard of CBG oils. The oil features a 1:1 ratio of CBD (cannabidiol) to CBG (cannabigerol). The 2400mg oil contains 1200mg of CBD and 1200mg of CBG, and comes in bright citrus, refreshing mint, and natural flavors. FAB CBD’s CBD+CBG Oil is bursting with botanical terpenes and bioactive cannabinoids to help bring about a powerful entourage effect within the body.
- FAB CBD is involved in the creation process from seed to sale
- All of the products are crafted from organic Colorado hemp
- Product prices are in line with other reputable brands in the industry
- High concentration of CBD and CBG
- Delicious and natural flavor profiles
- International shipping is not currently offered
#2 NuLeaf Naturals: Organic Ingredients
NuLeaf Naturals was started in 2014 by friends who considered themselves to be plant medicine enthusiasts. Together, they set out to craft the best, cleanest, and most potent CBD products that were also natural, organic, clean, and routinely tested by an independent laboratory. All of the brand’s hemp comes directly from licensed Colorado farms. In order to ensure full transparency, the team at NuLeaf Naturals engages with the product creation process from seed to sale. NuLeaf Naturals oversees hemp cultivation, product manufacturing, and product sale.
The brand creates its products using whole leaf extracts, and tries to stay away from synthetic ingredients at all times. NuLeaf Naturals uses the industry preferred CO2 extraction process to ensure that all of its extracts are potent and pure. As an added layer of transparency, the brand’s third-party lab reports are furnished to customers upon request. Lab reports are also found on the product pages of the brand’s website. Each report contains vital information on the oil’s cannabinoid profile and terpene profile, as well as the test results for residual solvents, heavy metals and pesticides.
- Hemp grown on licensed Colorado Farms through sustainable farming practices
- The brand does not use any preservatives in its products
- All products are third-party lab tested and results are easy for customers to find
- Friendly and helpful customer service department
About the CBG Oil
NuLeaf Naturals uses the clean CO2 extraction process to ensure that all of its extracts are potent and clean. Even though the brand’s CBG oil only comes in natural flavor, it does come in many strengths including 300mg, 900mg, and 1800mg. NuLeaf Naturals’ proprietary blend is made by using whole plant hemp extracts that are highly concentrated in CBG and other cannabinoids like CBD, CBC, CBN, and others. All of the brand’s products are cGMP (certified Good Manufacturing Practices). Moreover, NuLeaf Naturals’ facility is ISO certified to ensure that it consistently surpasses the most stringent regulatory requirements.
- Strong reputation of transparency
- All products are tested by an independent third-party lab
- Uses CO2 extraction process
- Fast shipping times
- 30-day, money-back guarantee
- CBG oil only comes in natural flavor
- Products tend to be a bit expensive
- Not much flavor variety in the brand’s other products
#3 Batch CBD: Backed by Science
Batch CBD crafts its products using organic hemp extracts and pure botanical ingredients. The brand proudly calls Wisconsin home. Consequently, the state is also where Batch CBD’s founders were born and raised. Because of the brand’s staunch belief in transparency, customers can schedule a tour of the Batch CBD lab facilities by calling ahead to book the appointment. Throughout the product creation process, the Batch CBD team purposely keeps their ingredient list pared down so they can put more of a focus more on science and function. The founders of Batch CBD have combined degrees in business and chemical engineering. Finally, the Batch CBD team has a background in manufacturing for other brands, and also employs in-house formula specialists that create potent and effective formulas.
- Organic Wisconsin hemp
- CBG oil in two different potencies
- Organic ingredients
- Custom ethanol extraction process
- Third-party lab testing
About the CBG Oil
Batch CBD crafts its CBG oil in two potencies. The oil is made with a 1:1 ratio of CBD to CBG and is infused with lemon and orange oil for a bright, citrus flavor profile. The oil is vegan, non-GMO, and doesn’t contain any pesticides or parabens. Customers can choose between 1000 CBD + 1000 CBG or 2000 CBD + 2000 CBG potencies. Interestingly, Batch CBD’s CBG oil also contains a terpene blend of Limonene, Caryophyllene, and Pinene.
- Wisconsin roots
- Pure and effective products
- Third-party lab can be difficult to find on the brand’s website
- Only one flavor option for the brand’s CBG oil
#4 MedTerra: Affordable Product Pricing
MedTerra was founded by passionate CBD lovers with a strong belief in the power of the hemp plant. As part of their mission, the founders and the MedTerra team also work hard to make CBD more affordable and available to those who cannot afford it. The brand also believes in being accountable for all of the products it creates. To that end, everyone at MedTerra is involved in product creation from seed to sale.
MedTerra grows its hemp according to the stringent guidelines of the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. Because of this, every product must be routinely tested by an independent third-party lab for consistency and quality. The brand continues to be in a partnership with the Hemp Pilot Research Program that allows it to reach customers throughout the United States as well as some countries internationally. MedTerra employs a team of experts that have years of experience in quality control, best hemp farming practices, vegetable genetics, and food-grade compound extraction.
- MedTerra practices sustainability
- The brand strongly believes in being transparent
- It crafts clean and potent products by using synergistic ingredients
- Non-GMO hemp that hails from Kentucky — MedTerra was one of the first brands to acquire the US Hemp Authority Certified Seal in March of 2019
- All products are tested by a third-party lab, then customers can download the reports by clicking on the “Certificate of Analysis” link at the bottom of the brand’s webpage
- Knowledgeable and helpful customer service department
About the CBG Oil
MedTerra uses the industry preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its extracts. The brand offers a CBD+CBG Tincture that is a 1:1 ratio blend of CBD and CBG. The tincture comes in a strength of 1000mg, which means that you’ll get 500mg of CBD and 500mg of CBG per bottle. The brand also sells a 2000mg tincture that contains 1000mg of CBD and 1000mg of CBG.
- Solid selection of CBG oil and broad spectrum, full-spectrum, and CBD isolate CBD oils in a host of flavors and potencies
- Offers customers a 30-day, money-back guarantee
- MedTerra doesn’t offer international shipping
#5 CBDistillery: Interesting Product Options
CBDistillery was founded in 2016 by a group of Colorado CBD enthusiasts. The group made their mark in the industry by pushing against subpar CBD products that were laden with harmful herbicides, pesticides, and other dangerous chemicals.
According to its website, CBDistillery is one of the “largest, affordable, and fastest-growing brands in today’s CBD industry.” To that end, the brand seeks to educate people all over the world about CBD through its social media presence. Customers can look up the brand’s “CBD Movement” hashtag to learn more about the brand’s mission and education efforts.
- Hemp is sourced in Colorado and is free of herbicides, pesticides, solvents, or other chemicals
- The brand believes in transparency
- CBDistillery is involved in every step of the creation process of its products
- CBDistillery is certified through the US Hemp Authority Certification Program
- The brand uses ProVerde Labs to regularly test all of its products for quality and effectiveness
- Lab reports are published on CBDistillery’s website where customers can easily find them
- Responsive customer service department
About the CBG Oil
CBDistillery offers a Relief+Relax CBD CBG oil in a 1:1 ratio of CBD to CBG. Customers can choose from strengths of 1000mg and 2000mg, which would equal 500mg of CBD and 500mg of CBG or 1000mg of CBD and 1000mg of CBG, respectively. Customers can find the third-party lab reports right on the brand’s website or by scanning a QR code on the product box. Since the oil is not flavored, customers can expect a taste mix of MCT oil and earthy hemp.
- Strong CBG concentration
- Third-party lab reports are easy for customers to find
- CBDistillery offers cost-saving programs for veterans, the disabled, and low-income individuals
- Unique product line
- Some customers are put off by the oil’s natural hemp flavor
- Packaging is not pleasing to the eye
- Ethanol extraction process is used over CO2 extraction
What is CBG?
Over the years, CBD has skyrocketed in popularity because of the documented success that both scientists and users are experiencing with it. And thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, all hemp-derived CBD products are legal throughout the United States as long as they contain 0.3% or less THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol. When taken regularly and consistently, CBD can offer a wealth of benefits from supporting general health and wellness, to pain control, easing insomnia, calming down anxiety and depression, and much more.
In fact, there are over 100 other cannabinoids in the hemp and marijuana plants that work with each other and with the body in a synergistic way. Recently, CBG, or cannabigerol, has come into the spotlight as the next exciting discovery in the CBD industry. CBGA, the precursor and mother to all cannabinoids, was first discovered in the 1960s by Raphael Mechoulam and Yehiel Gaoni. CBGA is also known as cannabigerolic acid and it is directly connected to THCA, or tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, CBDA, or cannabidiolic acid, and CBCA, or cannabichromenic acid. When CBGA, THCA, CBDA, and CBCA are exposed to light or heat, a process called decarboxylation takes place. These cannabinoids then become CBG, THC, CBD, and CBC.
CBG vs CBD Oil: What’s the Difference?
Since CBD doesn’t contain any of the psychoactive effects that THC does, scientists are finding that the cannabinoid is helpful in calming anxiety and treating inflammation. Moreover, scientists found that CBD is effective against chronic pain. CBG is very similar to CBD in that it also doesn’t contain any psychoactive properties. Even though research on CBG is still in its infancy, scientists are discovering that the compound may have neuroprotective properties in addition to being a powerful antioxidant.
CBD oil has become a popular product among many faithful users because of its analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, anti-anxiety, and calming properties. Additionally, CBD works in a synergistic manner with THC through the entourage effect, where they boost up each other’s positive effects while decreasing one another’s negative effects. CBD also works with the body’s endocannabinoid system by binding to the body’s CB1 and CB2 receptors to help regulate various systems and functions so that the body can be brought back into a state of balance, or homeostasis.
The Differences Between CBG and CBD
While the two cannabinoids have a host of similarities, CBD and CBG differ in many ways including:
- They have different molecular structures. The way that the carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen atoms are arranged within the cannabinoids is different. Because of this, CBG and CBD will bind with the body’s CB1 and CB2 receptors in varying ways, which causes them to affect the body differently. The way that a cannabinoid is structured will dictate how bioavailable it is and how soluble it will be in water.
- They affect the body’s receptors differently. While CBD exhibits anti-nausea properties, CBG acts as a blocker or antagonist. A 2011 study found that CBG and CBD may work to oppose each other at the body’s 5-HT1A serotonin receptor in the regulation of vomiting and nausea. While the two cannabinoids bound to the same place, their interactions were opposite.
- Stimulation of Appetite. Yet another study in 2016 found that while CBG has appetite stimulating effects, CBD works to dampen the appetite. In that study, researchers discovered that CBG caused animals to eat double the amount of their regular food intake. Interestingly, a study conducted in 2012 found that CBG had no effect on eating patterns, while CBD caused a reduction in food intake.
How CBD and CBG Work Together
While it’s widely known that full-spectrum and broad spectrum products are best because they bring about the entourage effect within the body while positively affecting the human endocannabinoid system, it’s now being understood that CBD and CBG also have a beneficial synergistic relationship. Even though studies have shown that CBD and CBG have opposing effects on one another, they also balance each other out. CBG works directly with the body’s receptors while CBD helps to stimulate the enzyme that produces the body’s own endocannabinoids. Therefore, when taken alone CBG can cause drowsiness and CBD can have an energizing effect. However, when taken together, the cannabinoids balance each other out.
CBD appears to be more effective against physical distress, while CBG works best against mental distress. For example, even though CBG and CBD both help to ease pain and sadness, CBD will be more effective against painwhile CBG can better affect symptoms stemming from depression. Still, because everyone’s body is different, some people feel that the opposite is true of the above statement. Regardless of this, it’s important to take both CBD and CBG together so that the full benefits of both of these cannabinoids can be felt.
How to Use CBG Oil
Just like CBD oil needs to be incorporated slowly into your body over time, the same applies for CBG oil. The best method for introducing any type of CBD or CBG oil into your body is to start low and go slow. Additionally, consistency and patience are key. The oil should be taken with some food in your stomach and should also be taken around the same time every single day. CBG oil should be administered sublingually and held there for about 60-seconds. This will allow all of the cannabinoids to be absorbed into the bloodstream through the thin membrane under the tongue. Before swallowing the CBG oil, you can swish it around in your mouth for maximum absorption. When CBG oil is placed under the tongue, the digestive tract is bypassed. This means that the CBG oil will not be further broken down, so you’ll be able to feel more of the oil’s benefits faster.
CBG Oil Dosage
When it comes to CBG oil dosage, begin with a low dose and increase slowly over time. For example, begin by taking a half a dropper-full of FAB CBD 2400mg CBD+CBG Oil once a day. This roughly equals about 40mg of CBD+CBG oil. Stick with this dose for 10-14 days as you check in with your body to see how you’re feeling. If you feel that you need to increase your dose, move up to a half dropper-full twice a day. This will come to 40mg of CBD+CBG twice a day, or 80mg total daily. Stay at this new dose for another week or so before checking in with your body again. If after this new dose you still feel the need to increase, then follow this method until you find the right dose of CBG oil for your body.
Benefits of Using CBG Oil
When CBD and CBG oil are combined, it offers users a wealth of therapeutic benefits. Most reputable brands blend their CBG oils with CBD oils, as it is rare to see CBG oils on their own. This is even more encouraging considering that both of these cannabinoids will not cause intoxicating or psychoactive feelings. Some of the more distinct benefits that CBG and CBD can offer are:
- Relief From Chronic Pain — The blend of CBG and CBD together can help both ease depression and alleviate or dampen chronic pain.
- Antibacterial Properties — Scientists discovered that both CBG and CBD have the ability to fight dangerous bacterial infections. When CBD, THC, and CBG were used against MRSA, scientists found that CBG acted similar to vancomycin.
- Anti-Seizure Potential — CBD and CBG appear to have antispasmodic properties that can help alleviate or eliminate epileptic seizures.
- Antidepressant Properties — The combination of CBD and CBG together have incredible documented antidepressant properties. These two cannabinoids, when paired together, help to balance mood and alleviate depression.
- Mood Boosting Effects — Since CBG can signal the body to stop absorbing serotonin, this creates a boost in mood. Conversely, CBD increases the brain’s anandamide levels, which will stop other enzymes from breaking down anandamide. Decreased levels of anandamide are linked to depression. Therefore, a blend of CBD and CBG can help to improve various mood disorders. In fact, studies show that the combination of CBD and CBG are extremely effective against manic syndrome, bipolar disorder, and even seasonal affective disorder, or SAD.
Risks and Possible Side Effects
Both CBD and CBG have the same types of mild side effects associated with them. The good news is that there is no possible way to overdose on both of these kinds of oils. Some of the mild side effects linked to CBD and CBG are:
- Dry Mouth
- Changes in Weight
- Changes in Appetite
CBD and CBG can both interact with a variety of prescription medications by negatively impacting liver enzymes that are responsible for metabolizing those drugs. If you are on any prescription medications, it’s advised that you consult with your primary care doctor or medical specialists before adding CBG or CBD oil into your existing supplement regimen.
Below are some commonly asked questions by those who are new to CBG and/or CBD in general. If you don’t see your question(s) answered, then you can always do some of your own research until you’ve found the answers you’re looking for.
Is CBG Oil Legal to Buy Online?
Under the 2018 Farm Bill, CBG oil is legal to sell and purchase online across the United States. Hemp-based cannabinoid products are legal providing they contain 0.3% or less THC.
Can I Get High From CBG Oil?
When derived from hemp, CBD and CBG are both non-intoxicating cannabinoids. Therefore, there’s no way that anyone can get “high” from using CBG oil.
How Much Does CBG Oil Cost?
The answer to this question largely depends on where you’re buying your CBG oil from. Products from reputable and trusted brands typically cost a bit more because they are made using industry-preferred methods and high-quality ingredients. These brands, however, do try their best to make products affordable for everyone.
Will CBG Oil Cause a Failed Drug Test?
CBG should not cause a positive result on drug tests, however, there is a very slim chance that it may cause a false positive to appear. The reason for this is that CBG and THC can appear chemically similar on certain types of drug tests. So if you know that you have a drug screening coming up, you may want to avoid taking any CBG oil before your screening.
Does CBG Help with Anxiety and Stress?
CBG can create feelings of calm and relaxation without any psychoactive effects. Some regular users report feeling less stressed and/or anxious when they consistently take their CBG products.
How Long Does CBG Oil Take to Work for Anxiety?
Just like CBD oil, it can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes to feel the initial effects of CBG oil. It may take up to an hour, however, before you’ll feel its full effects. These times will vary from person to person, as everyone’s body is different. The effects of CBG oil can typically be felt for up to six hours.
Where to Buy CBG Oil?
CBG oil can be bought in the same way that you would buy CBD oil. You should do your research so that you are sure to buy your oil from trusted and respected brands. Your best bet is to buy CBG oil online so that you have the time to investigate different brands and products without the pressure of being physically inside of a store.
Final Thoughts on Best CBG Oil
CBG oil is an exciting new discovery for the CBD industry as a whole. Even though research on the cannabinoid is still in its early stages, what’s been discovered about it has been both positive and exciting. If you’ve been thinking about switching over to CBG oil or a combination of CBD+CBG, it pays to take some time to do the research. Just as you researched prior to taking CBD oil, you should also look into some of the same factors when it comes to reading up on the pros and cons of CBG. If you’re struggling as to where to start your research, our guide is a fantastic place to begin.
We’ve carefully selected our top five brands because they are the best of the best in today’s CBD/CBG industry. FAB CBD rose to the top as our number one choice because not only is the brand trustworthy and highly transparent, but it also took the time and consideration necessary to craft what we believe to be the gold standard of CBD+CBG oils. The rest of our top brands are also solid contenders in the burgeoning CBG market.
Finally, if you have any questions or concerns about CBG oil and whether or not it will negatively interact with your prescription medication, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your primary care physician or prescribing doctor. CBG oil can be an amazing addition to your existing natural supplement routine when you understand what it is, how it functions in your body, what its benefits are, and what some of the side effects can be. Moreover, knowing the best brand to go with is definitely an additional bonus that will help to take away a lot of the guesswork.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.