Loading...
Gangsta Is What That Is

Waka Flocka Flame Goes Deep

Comments (0)

By

Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Waka_30Secs_2.jpg
All photos by Marco Torres
Steve Aoki performs at the Shrine Expo Hall on Friday. In tow will be none other than aggressive rap's Mozart, Waka Flocka Flame, along with quickly ascendant L.A.-via-Australia rapper goddess Iggy Azalea and Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington of Linkin Park. (Despite the strange bedfellows on this bill, PR assures us that both Waka Flocka and Azalea will do regular solo sets and not, like, throwing cake at people.)

Ahead of the show, we talked to Waka Flocka, who remains one of hip-hop's most compelling figures.

Describe your music to us as if we had never heard it before.

When I hit the stage, its like a Korn concert mixed with Onyx, Lil Jon, DMX, Run-DMC, mixed with EDM. Ain't nobody doing it like me! Like a head-bussa.

So... explosive?

Man, wut! Like atom bombs explosive! Its amazing, man!

Tell us about your history.

I was born in Jamaica, Queens. I moved to Atlanta when I was ten, then moved to Clayton County.

Waka_30Secs_3.jpg
Would you say that there's a different dynamic between NYC and Georgia?

Ain't no difference, man, just the kids. Kids in New York had to grow up faster. Kids in Georgia were involved in sports. And the women was thicker. Good food, too!

How did you hook up with Steve Aoki?

First I hooked up with Borgore [a DJ also touring with Aoki, but not on Friday's bill], and from there I ran into Steve's manager while on tour in Europe.

Tell us about your experience in Europe, where you have been on tour most of the year.

They loved me, but it was crazy 'cause I didn't understand shit anybody was sayin'! Which made me a bit nervous to take the stage, like wondering if they were gonna fuck with me.

But when I got onstage, they knew everything! They don't speak English, but they knew the words to my tracks! Just like in the States. Its no different, they just a little skinnier.

Tell us about your new mixtape, Roaches to Rolexes.

The reason I named it that is because I rap about the struggle, know what I'm saying? But now I made it, as me... as a person. Now its time to get my family and my friends right. Now you're gonna hear Waka with some funds behind me. Waka as a man talking now.

What is the worst song in the world, and why?

I can't stand "Step Daddy" by Hitman Sammy Sam. I just hate that fucking song. They should have never made it.

What about the best song in the world?

"Keep Ya Head Up" by Tupac.

If someone throws a beer bottle at you while you're onstage, what do you do?

Jump off and fuck em up!

What has been your best show ever?

My first show ever in South Carolina back in 2010. I knew I was there from that show. I loved it.

What would you buy with one million dollars?

Shit, I already did that! Houses, cars, and jewelry!

What would you buy with your last dollar?

I would invest 60 percent and live off the other 40 percent.

If you had the opportunity to work with anyone, alive or dead, who would it be and why?

Bernie Mac. I would have loved to do a movie with Bernie. That would be awesome.

Like us on Facebook at LAWeeklyMusic.

Top 10 Rap Battles in History

Top 60 Worst Lil Wayne Lines on Tha Carter IV

Five Rappers That Fans Love and Critics Can't Stand

The 20 Worst Hipster Bands

Don't forget to check our constantly-updated Los Angeles Concert Calendar

Related Content

Now Trending

  • Henry Rollins: American Bigotry Is Alive in Ferguson

    While most of America gets on with its business, Ferguson, Missouri, burns in archaic flames of exasperating, unresolved anger, for all to see. Once again, the world watches America roil in the mortifying echo of Jim Crow law brutality. Meanwhile, U.S. firepower explodes bodies of ISIS militia thousands of miles...
    3
  • The Black Castle’s Mysterious Proprietor

    The worst part about running a metal venue out of your home is the mess. The proprietor of South Central club the Black Castle regularly puts on shows for hundreds of raging metalheads. He also lives in the facilities, which are housed in a former custom-car shop. Additionally, he’s a...
    2
  • Check Out This Biggie Smalls Butane Torch

    In the past few years, a lot of serious potheads have switched from smoking marijuana to vaping concentrates like wax, which require the kind of heat that only can come from a butane torch. Unlike regular lighters, butane torches are fairly large and awkward. So a company called Errlybird is...
Los Angeles Concert Tickets