In fact, there are very few artists, bare-chested or no, whom you'd rather have conduct your party.
Har Mar and his band are kicking off a four-week residency Friday at the Satellite (one of the final Spaceland Productions bookings there), and he's bringing lots of fun friends -- including some pals from his native Minnesota.
It starts Friday with a birthday party, but that's only one of the reasons smuggle in a "Tall Boy" and join the fun:
5) He doesn't play his home base very often. "I like to keep the L.A. shows few and far between," he says. "That way they're more of an event."
4) The next time you see him, he might be a soul man. "I've been working on sketches of songs ... more along the lines of Otis Redding and Sam Cooke," he says. "But it's going to be a while."
3) The Minneapolis connection. Not only is Rhymesayers stalwart P.O.S. on board to perform with Doomtree's Mike Mictlan the third week, but Marijuana Deathsquads -- the collective spearheaded by Ryan Olson of Gayngs (who are in L.A. to do some recording) -- are playing every week. "You get to hear me on vocoder," Har Mar says.
2) Samantha Ronson with a live band. Week 4, mark it down.
1) He's turning 33 on Sunday. "It's my Jesus year and I'm growing my Jesus beard," he says. "So just think of it as a celebration of my Jesus beard."