Picnics are one of those civic birthrights that redeems living with traffic snarls on the 405 and celebrity divorces superseding the one minute of world event coverage on the evening news. The very bones of the tradition forged by myriad outdoor spaces, summer events and consistently genial weather can lend to various ways of enjoying food al fresco. The problem is that it opens up a wide range of options: beach or park, Bay Cities sandwiches or homemade versions, blanket or none.
Take the following (mostly unscientific) multiple-choice quiz to figure out your picnic mojo:
1. Where in L.A. (within closest proximity) do you call home?
a) Downtown L.A.
b) Culver City
c) Santa Monica
f) Silver Lake
2. What do you like best about the city?
b) Art scene
d) Entertainment community
f) Urban farm movement
3. Which would you choose as your favorite watering hole?
c) Copa d'Oro
d) The Well
4. If you're hosting guests from out of town, where would you take them?
a) Bar crawl starting with The Edison
b) Museum Row
d) Walk of Fame
5. What annoys you most about L.A.?
a) You can't ride the Metro everywhere
b) Stereotype of L.A as a city without culture
c) Air pollution
d) Early last calls
e) Westside bias
f) Lack of cyclist safety/rights
6. Other Angelenos tend to associate your neighborhood with:
e) Rose Parade
7. What is your must-have accessory?
b) Reusable bags
d) Digital camera
e) Banana Republic anything
f) a Clare Vivier clutch/well-worn tortoise frames
8. What is your favorite neighborhood eatery?
a) Wood Spoon
c) Plan Check
e) Euro Pane
f) Mohawk Bend
9. If there is one thing you wish you could stop, it would be:
a) lack of a nearby Trader Joe's or Whole Foods
b) outside companies bidding to drill Inglewood Oil Field
c) traffic jams at the most inconvenient hours
d) bars more interested in bottle service than service in general
e) popularity of mediocre restaurants
f) possible draining of the Silver Lake Reservoir for 18 months
10. What is your favorite city resource?
a) L.A. Times
b) L.A. Weekly
c) Los Angeles magazine
f) Your barista
Tally up your choices and find your picnic style according to the letter that appears the most frequently in response.