Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 5/7 - 5/11
Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Categories: Food Blogs
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "I was never trying to make a statement about vegetarianism at Ubuntu, I was just trying to showcase the best ingredients I had available." Q & A With Jeremy Fox: Paper or Plastik, Prefabs, His New L.A. Restaurant + Life Post-Ubuntu.
- "And the chart may be handy beyond this upcoming Sunday: As your mom will no doubt remind you, every day is Mother's Day." Mother's Day Flowchart: Where to Take Your Mom for Brunch.
- "The cure for diabetes might be ... candy?" Black Licorice Found to Fight Diabetes.
- "Apparently it served as a pseudo-stress reliever; the face-melting burn of pure capsaicin stimulates the release of feel good endorphins, buoying your mood when paired with an equally potent bottle of soju." Spicy Food Fight: Fukuburger vs. Kalbi Burger.
- "If you wanted to rank L.A. courthouses by approximate distances to good food -- places to console your stomach before or after, say, dealing with a moving violation or outstanding warrant -- the monolithic Superior Court building in Van Nuys would easily rank near the top." Takatis Pollo a la Brasa: Sanguchon in the San Fernando Valley.
- "A bonus: That "beer alcohol content" chart inside the back jacket cover should come in handy right around halftime." Cooking + Drinking: Three New High-Alcohol Cookbooks.
- "Of course, the odds of a guy who was cryogenically frozen during the 1940s knowing what shawarma is might be a long shot." 'The Avengers'' Shawarma Bump + Where to Feed Your Craving.
- "For the record, the cricket sauce tasted remarkably like soy sauce, maybe with a hint of fish sauce." Rene Redzepi and Lars Williams at UCLA: Seaweed Ice Cream + Cricket Sauce.