Food in the Media
Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 4/25-4/29
Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM
Categories: Food in the Media, Food News
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "To get to Ray's, the new restaurant at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, you thread your way through Chris Burden's streetlamp installation, past the outdoor Stark Bar and into a glowing minimalist rectangle that abuts the soaring Ahmanson gallery like a glass shoebox parked next to a refrigerator." First Bite: Dining Artfully at Ray's.
- "What's in a name? Many, many syllables when it comes to 'Royal Princess Cheddarella Regiano' or 'Did you jam your cheesecake in to my sandwich?'" Winner Winner, Grilled Cheese Dinner: Your 2011 Grilled Cheese Invitational Winners.
- "And the proliferation of low fat granolas -- don't even bother with those, unless you enjoy snacking on sweetened cardboard." A Good Granola Is Hard To Find + A Recipe.
- "Ever wondered whether that vacuum-packed chuck steak or that chicken breast is still fresh?" Weird Science: Germans Develop Rotten Meat Sensor.
- "If you've been up all night watching the royal wedding coverage on CNN -- which seemed a lot like a cross between the Oscars and an episode of Masterpiece Theatre, circa 1972 -- and are now collapsed on your fainting couch, having called in sick to work, you may be getting hungry." Canapes for Monarchists: The Royal Wedding Lunchtime Reception Menu.
- "But the cake is more than just fun with food coloring, as each layer really does taste like the fruit it's emulating. Really." The Technicolor Dessert: Hawaiian Paradise Cakes from King's Hawaiian.
- "Google 'meat,' 'bacteria,' and 'drug-resistant,' and your Internet-gazing eyes will see some things that will make you want to hang up your steak knife." Home on the Range: Large Quantities of American Meat Infected With Drug-Resistant Bacteria.
- "Oliver and new LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy sat down together finally last night. On the set of Jimmy Kimmel Live! Thus the cameras were running to record (um, validate?) the results." Jamie Oliver and the LAUSD Call Truce: On Jimmy Kimmel's Show.
- "You know, I can't think of a baking disaster. Wait, hold on. [Pauses, puts down the phone] My sister-in-law, Connie, wants to talk to you." Q & A With Maida Heatter, Part 1: The Queen Of Cakes On Unintentional Pie Prejudice, Her Favorite Cake + What She Baked Last Week.