Food in the Media
Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 4/18-4/22
Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM
Categories: Food in the Media, Food News
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "As Sotto, the new Italian restaurant from Steve Samson and Zack Pollack, who ran David Meyer's Pizza Ortica at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, somebody sprung to fix up the basement, because it is suddenly intimate instead of cramped, dedicated to wine instead of cocktails, and has a sense of stability only a $15,000 pizza oven ballasted with imported Vesuvian dirt can provide." First Bite: Sotto, or The Happiness of Abattoir Jocks.
- "There have been a couple times where I have been mildly woozy, but not where I can't function." The Man Who Drank Only Beer: Interview with a Part-Time Monk.
- "The label features several snarky lines, including (but not limited to) "Arise Prince Willy" and "Big Willy Style," though why they didn't take the joke one more step and brew an Imperial IPA we will never understand." Prince Willy's Pint: Brewdog's Royal Virility Performance.
- "I would much rather eat a genuinely angry cookie than one made by a cheerful person repressing anger." Aimee Bender's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: Cake Police, the Perfect Bowl of Soup + Culinary ESP.
- When a pizza restaurant runs out of dough during a busy night, it's a bummer for hungry customers who show up expecting to eat. For the restaurant, there could be worse problems. To anyone else, the irony is kind of amusing, given that the business's name itself contains said pizza component that's in limited supply. Now Open: Mother Dough Pizza in Los Feliz.
- "Finally I didn't know how to explain to my parents that they just paid for a fucking college degree at Berkeley -- I'd just graduated from a business program at Berkeley -- and now I was off to be a short order cook." Q & A with Eric Greenspan, Part 2: Culinary School or Not Culinary School, Etc.
- "No word on whether she can stay in the hotel where John Belushi OD'd in 1982, where Jim Morrison reportedly dangled from a drainpipe, where Montgomery Clift recuperated after his car crash, where John Frusciante nearly killed himself on heroin, where Greta Garbo holed up ven she vanted to be alone." Banned from Chateau Marmont for Tweeting.
- "For the uninitiated, Cochon 555 is a massive party suffused with the scent of molten pork, which we'll take over a shot of anything." Cochon 555: The Heritage Pig Fest Comes to L.A.