Xtreme Eating Awards Announced: Top 8 Worst Things To Eat
The Cheesecake Factory Farmhouse Cheeseburger
Center for Science in the Public Interest
This year's winners of the Xtreme Eating Awards have been named, just in time for us all to continue massively overeating. The so-called "dishonorees," as if we needed more clues as to the point of this, were unveiled in the current edition of the Center for Science in the Public Interest's Nutrition Action Healthletter.
The eight winning (and we mean that in much the same way Charlie Sheen does) dishes are loaded with bacon, fried eggs and pork belly, ice cream and peanut butter, and come stuffed, fried, and accompanied by more fried things. Big surprise. Turn the page for the list, in order of number of calories. Just a little reminder: an average adult is theoretically supposed to consume about 2,000 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat, and 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day.
1. Morton's The Steakhouse Porterhouse Steak: A hunk of aged prime beef that weighs 24 ounces before cooking. With mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. 2,570 calories, 85 grams of sat fat, and 2,980 mg of sodium.
2. Cold Stone Creamery PB&C Shake: 24 ounces of peanut butter, chocolate ice cream and milk. 2,010 calories and 68 grams of saturated fat.
3. The Cheesecake Factory Ultimate Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake: Red velvet cake topped with a layer of cheesecake topped with another layer of red velvet cake and topped that with another layer of cheesecake and cream cheese frosting, chocolate shavings and whipped cream. 1,540 calories and 59 grams of saturated fat.
4. The Cheesecake Factory Farmhouse Cheeseburger: A burger topped with grilled smoked pork belly cheddar cheese, onions, lettuce, tomato, mayo and a fried egg. 1,530 calories, 36 grams of saturated fat and 3,210 mg of sodium.
5. Applebee's Provolone-Stuffed Meatballs With Fettuccine: Meatballs stuffed with provolone cheese atop fettuccine with a marinara sauce and a Parmesan cream sauce. With garlic bread. 1,520 calories, 43 grams of saturated fat and 3,700 mg of sodium.
6. Great Steak's Great Fries: An extra-large order of fries topped with Philly Whiz, chopped bacon, and sour cream & chives. 1,500 calories, 33 grams of saturated fat and 4,980 mg of sodium.
7. Denny's Fried Cheese Melt: Four fried mozzarella sticks and melted American cheese grilled between two slices of sourdough. With fries and marinara sauce. 1,260 calories, 21 grams of saturated fat and 3,010 mg of sodium.
8. IHOP's Monster Bacon 'N Beef Cheeseburger: Two Bacon 'N Beef burger patties with American and Provolone cheeses on a Romano-Parmesan bun. 1,250 calories, 42 grams of saturated fat and 1,590 mg of
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.