What's in The Beef: Taco Bell President Gives Away "Secret Ingredients" On Video Amid Lawsuit
Screenshot of Taco Bell gorditas
There's only so much thinking "outside the bun" you can do before wondering what's inside the burrito. That may have been the thought-process of California resident Amanda Obney before she filed a lawsuit against Taco Bell for false advertising. The class action lawsuit, filed in Federal court against the fast food chain, claims their beef products don't have enough beef in them. According to the lawsuit, only 35 percent of the beef is actually beef. Which begs the question: What's in the other 65 percent?
"We start with 100 percent USDA-inspected beef," said Taco Bell President Greg Creed in a statement. It might be USDA-inspected, but does that mean it was USDA-approved?
Watch Creed's official statement on video, after the jump.
According to the nutritional facts on the company website, the seasoned beef contains 26 ingredients, only one of them being beef. It doesn't break down percentages for us, but the product also contains chemicals such as silicon dioxide, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), autolyzed yeast extract, and modified corn starch, to name a few.
Taco Bell President Greg Creed clears some things up and gives away Taco Bell's "secret ingredients" on camera. We're not sure if he's chuckling towards the end of the video because it's a joke, or because he's just so excited about the money rolling in from those 35 million customers per week.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Trattoria Napolis to Close, French Laundry Wine Recovered: This Week in Food
- Celebrate Australia Day in L.A. With Pies, Lamingtons, Fairy Bread and a Flat White
- L.A. Most Authentic Singaporean Dishes and Drinks Are at QQ Kopitiam in Pasadena
- On Its Fifth Anniversary, Here's What's Defining the L.A. Beer Scene