What The President Ate For Dinner Last Night
Even if you're a Republican, you may secretly want to know what chef Suzanne Goin served President Obama -- and 60 other seriously rich people -- last night at Tavern. And although we do not care one bit what Justin Bieber and Rhianna and Lindsay Lohan and every other celebrity in this town eats or where they eat it, we kind of wanted to know too. It is the president, after all.
Caroline Styne, co-owner with Goin of the Brentwood restaurant (they also own AOC and Lucques) knows this, so she kindly sent out the menu. Turn the page for the specifics of the 5-course meal, along with Styne's letter about the event.
Many have asked us about our dinner last evening for President Obama at Tavern. It was an incredible and intense experience for Suzanne, me, and everyone that works with us. The planning, anticipation and execution of the evening was nerve-wracking and exciting beyond description. We and our entire staff are just so honored to have been entrusted with such an important evening.
All of the guests seemed to truly enjoy themselves and their time with the President. He was gracious and generous with his time, going beyond the donors at the dinner and taking time to shake the hand of every staff member at the restaurant. We couldn't be more pleased with the evening as a whole. Here's the menu everyone has been asking about.
Caroline Styne, Co-Owner
Tavern Restaurant, Los Angeles
An Evening with President Obama
- crab " louie " with little gems, tomatoes, eggs and russian dressing
- baked torchio with radicchio, wild mushrooms, asparagus and taleggio
- braised beef daube with carrot purée, tomato confit and tapenade
- three cheeses with griddled tavern toasts
- "snickers" bar with salted peanut caramel and vanilla ice cream
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Trattoria Napolis to Close, French Laundry Wine Recovered: This Week in Food
- Celebrate Australia Day in L.A. With Pies, Lamingtons, Fairy Bread and a Flat White
- L.A. Most Authentic Singaporean Dishes and Drinks Are at QQ Kopitiam in Pasadena
- On Its Fifth Anniversary, Here's What's Defining the L.A. Beer Scene