Top 5 Weirdest Halloween Candies
5. Candy Body Parts: We here at SI HQ can't quite put our fingers on why, but this candy reminds us of the film Reservoir Dogs. This reusable cardboard coffin contains seven different candy body parts including ears, noses, teeth and, disturbingly, some unidentifiable organs, possibly sourced from executed Chinese convicts.
4. Life-Size Gummy Rat: Here, Linus the food-testing cat demonstrates the proper way to consume a gummy rat: tail first. Others, especially 10-year-old boys, start with the head. It is a matter of personal preference. This 3-oz. version is made by Jelly Belly and happens to provide 100% of your daily requirement of vitamin C. Fun facts on the back of the package include, "Rats can tread water for three days." Seriously, get on that, Linus.
3. Liquid Blood: Violets are blue, zombie blood is green, human blood is red. Unless you're severely anemic, it's a bad idea to drink real blood. However, you can slurp the sweet "energy drink" version right out of a faux blood bag. Or try the Tru Blood blood orange-flavored "carbonated drink" that the "good" vampires suck down on the HBO show, available only in Bon Temps and at BevMo. For an adult Halloween libation, try this cocktail recipe from HBO:
1.5 oz. vodka
Shake with ice and pour over cubed ice into a rocks glass.
Top with 1.5 oz. Tru Blood.
Garnish with a blood orange wedge.
Optional: Cool with a gummy eyeball ice cube in it (see next entry).
2. Gummy Eyeballs and Sushi: Gummy eyeballs in an ice cube tray give new meaning to the cocktail-slinging phrase, "Here's looking at you!" Just add water to the tray and freeze, and you can give your party guests a frozen stare in a new way. For sushi aficionados, there is this stylish tray of delicate candy body parts including severed fingers and ears on gummy rice. It comes with chopsticks.
1. Zombie Survival Kit: Zombies suck. Actually, they chomp. But they are unpleasant creatures, who apparently can be stopped with mini marshmallows. Good to know. Dylan's Candy Bar has put together this Zombie Survival Kit complete with a gun that shoots mini marshmallows 30 feet, a bag of gummy eyeballs, a bag of sour cherry gummy brains, a brain lollipop, a chocolate bar with pretzel stick "broken bones" and a cup of "bits and pieces" full of classic Halloween candy like Tootsie roll pops, Blow Pops and Boston Baked Beans (not sure if this means Boston has an especially bad zombie problem, but we could see that).
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...