Thanks to the booming craft beer scene in Los Angeles and California recently dubbed the number-one beer state, chances are that lately you can't look at a beer list without feeling overwhelmed and scratching your head about 99 percent of brews you don't recognize. What is a coffee Belgian Blonde anyway? And will you even like barleywine?
Fortunately those fearful of committing to a pint of something they might end up hating will be grateful for the beer flight option that's popping up in many beer bars. With four or five 5-ounce tasters, you can now risk being adventurous. And even better, create your own specialized "beer fest." Will it be an IPA fest this time, a coffee-infused selection or, ooh, all Belgians?
Check out the top five beer-serious L.A. bars with the best selections for sampling after the jump.
5. Beer Belly in Koreatown is the smallest bar out of the five on the list and consequently has the fewest taps at 12 beers but with a seasoned staff further trained by Beer Chick Christina Perozzi, it's easy to gab with the beertender over which one you should try next in this intimate setting. Flights are $9 for four 4-ounce tasters, $8 during happy hour til 7pm.
4. Simmzy's in Manhattan Beach is always packed with locals and tourists so if you're lucky enough to score a seat in a timely manner choose from their 24 beers on tap for your flight of four 4.5-ounce tasters ($12 Traditional flight and $19.50 Belgian).
3. Tony's Darts Away makes things even easier for new beer fans by breaking up its 36-tap list into two easy-to-ponder categories of IPA and Non-IPA. A flight of four 4-ounce tasters is $8.
2. Santa Monica's Library Alehouse often hosts brewery nights and beer fests which take over their 29 taps, making it a great way to explore your favorite type of beer or a beermaker's repertoire. Flights are $10 for a whopping five 4.5-ounce tasters, additional for pricier beers.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Blue Palms Brewhouse's standard flight of four 5-ounce tasters is $9 and a bit more if you want the fancier snifter-worthy stuff. But if you hit up the Hollywood bar before 10pm during its Pint Night Tuesday and find a beer you like off its 24-tap list, it'll cost you only $4 for a pint!
And in other beer news: Wirtshaus, the new German restaurant on La Brea, will debut its own beer flights starting today. The venue had custom boards especially made for the purpose, and they'll accommodate five tasters. The flights, which will be offered all day, come in two themes: "Journey Through Germany" and Bavarian.