Top 10 Brain Cakes: What Happens When Zombie-Lovers Bake
As evidenced by these Flickr photos, surprisingly many people have been making brain-shaped desserts. This is what happens when the zombie-horror-comic book-convention generation learns how to bake. (What is wrong with you people?) These are particularly inspired:
1. Floating Brains Cupcakes. They look like they're floating. The icing looks so light and fluffy. Tell me it's meringue.
Photo via Saucy Dragonfly
2. Brain With Eyes & Lips. What the hell is it?? Why does it have a mouth and eyes and what are those stumps sticking out that look like bone marrow? I want to know. But I don't want to know. You know?
Photo via Krazzy Cakes
3. The Motherbrain. For a minute I thought it was a fountain-type thing, with the big mommy brain on top and the little brains on the tiers below it. And now that I've just written that, someone needs to get on it. Fountain. Big brain on top. Little baby brains. Spinal fluid or blood trickling down the tiers. Stat!
Photo via Nightngle
4. Red Liquid Oozing Brain. Knife? What knife?
Photo via NinaZer0
5. Sweet Pink Brain. It's supposedly stuffed with "gummy men, spiders, skulls, candy fingerbones etc." The icing is pink buttercream. That worm sticking out of the base of the brain, is that the medulla oblongata?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.