Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 9/17 - 9/21
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Rice, seemingly so bland and innocuous, harbors the same deadly poison beloved by Victorian mystery writers." Consumer Reports Warns of Arsenic in Rice.
- "At most regular restaurants, the communal table is awkward at best, and just plain uncomfortable at worst." Trend Watch: Down With Communal Tables?
- "There are plenty of fish in the sea now; you can barely drive a block through Boyle Heights, say, without running into at least one lonchero decked out in bright blue to mark its specialty in seafood." 10 Best Seafood Tacos in Los Angeles.
- "If you thought popcorn was dangerous just because of those hard little things that get stuck between your teeth, think again." Man Awarded $7.2 Million for 'Popcorn Lung.'
- "'This is crazy, I've been here more than 17 years, and they're kicking me out,' he says." Bread Report: Bezian Bakery is Out, Red Bread is in at The Santa Monica Farmers Market.
- "She says she did it of her own volition and was not paid by Starbucks -- unless you count the free Wi-Fi." Woman Claims to Have Lost 85 Pounds on 'Starbucks Diet.'
- "Maybe the headline should have read instead 'Small hearted people aggravated by other people's generosity.'" Are Tipping Percentages Going Up?
- "Oktoberfest doesn't just mean sausage and sauerkraut -- at least not when Farid Zadi busts out his tagine this weekend." Farid Zadi's Couscousfest Returns: Oktoberfest + North African Stoner Food.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.