Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 9/12-9/16
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "What could be more piggy than pork? Tonkotsu ramen, aficionados insist, and they may have a point." Ramen Yamadaya: An Umami Gun Set to Stun.
- "Fōnuts provides a convenient and glamorous rationalization for a very prosaic doughnut habit." Fōnuts: The Cake That Would Be A Doughnut.
- "When monocropping, a frog could ruin everything." Santa Monica Farmers Market Q & A, Part 2: Laura Avery Discovers a Farm in Compton + Her Favorite Fall Produce.
- "The Roof on Wilshire is Eric Greenspan's new restaurant, sort of. It's a bar, but not really. It's both, but neither. "It's a hangout," Greenspan says, which really is the best way to describe it." Eric Greenspan's New Restaurant-Bar-Hangout: The Roof on Wilshire.
- "Yes, there is a chapter devoted to testicles (primarily lamb) and one dubbed "Vital Blood" with pork blood pancakes, classic boudin noir, and an Italian-style pork blood and chocolate ice cream." Cookbook of the Week: Odd Bits For All Your Blood & Brain Desires + A Calf Liver Recipe.
- "Sure, Los Angeles has many, many excellent bowls of yellow curry and exceptional plates of pad Thai, but there are plenty of eateries that showcase distinctly regional foods that are well worth exploring." L.A.'s Idea of Thai Food vs. What Thais Really Eat.
- "If you are one of those poor, mislead, skittish souls who thinks they are afraid of 'dark beer,' stay in your self-concluded, preconceived-notion corner." Greg Koch's 6 Essential West Coast Beers.
- "You may wake up the next morning wondering why you are covered in cheap evil eye jewelry looking like some two-bit Aphrodite -- then you will recall that you spent the previous evening at the Greek Fest in Pasadena." Greek Fest This Weekend in Arcadia.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.