Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 8/9 - 8/14/2009
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Designing a menu for Mars is simply a scientific problem to be solved like any other." This is not Buzz Aldrin's Astronaut Food.
- "We should be able to live largely disease-free lives until we are well into our 90s and even past 100 years of age." Whole Foods CEO in an op-ed piece.
- "You can accuse me of being too politically correct."
Why is Rick Bayless the expert on Mexican cuisine when he isn't even Mexican?
- "This taco is about as authentic as a bag [of] fritos dipped in chile con carne." How I stopped worrying and learned to love the jack in the box regular taco.
- "Understanding batters taught me not to fear death," from The Happy Rise of Cookbook Sales: Michael Ruhlman's Book "Ratio" Hits Bestseller List.
- "Where else can you get an awesome meal and pick up your dry-cleaning at the same time?" from Strip Mall Rat: Where to Get Awesome Pupusas.
- "I am by now fairly confident that should I want to surgically excise a streetwalker's liver, I could manage it," from Butchery on the Rise & Julie Powell Takes Up the Cleaver: Does Tim Burton Cook?.
- "The only appropriate tribute to such a legend, it seems, is to turn up the Les Paul tunes and bake an electric guitar cake," from Guitar Legend Les Paul Dies: Raise Your Forks and Bake an Electric Guitar Cake.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- David Asprey Wants You to Drink Coffee With Butter. Some Dismiss His Science (VIDEO)
- Little Shanghai's Dumplings Are the Only Constant at This Rowland Heights Food Court
- The Future of Seafood: Is Wild Catch Going Extinct?
- L.A. Weekly's Ultimate Burger Bracket, the Final 4 Revealed — Plus, Your Chance to...