In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "For Mexican, I go to My Taco a lot. It's near my house in South Pasadena. The food there is really good and fresh and well prepared. Jonathan Gold wrote about it a couple of times for their carne asada fries, but I don't order that and I don't let my kids order that." Where the Chefs Eat: Providence's Michael Cimarusti.
- "The very first drink my father ever made for me -- the first drunk not behind his back in some friend's basement but in our basement, with him -- was a shandy." Summer Drinks, Part III: The Shandy.
- "Take the following (mostly unscientific) multiple-choice quiz to figure out your picnic mojo." Pop Quiz: What's Your Picnic Style?
- "Iowa restaurant veteran and beef straw inventor Ben Hirko says he got the idea after a customer brought a few beef jerky sticks into a bar where he was working. He began experimenting with homemade versions and eventually found a business partner who shared a similar Bloody Mary edible straw dream." Beef Jerky Bloody Mary Straws, A Brunch Game Changer?
- "The protest, on Aug. 30 of that year, was the first of several at Carl's Jr. locations around Greater Los Angeles." Carl's Jr. Was Boycotted in 1989 -- Fast Food Protests Are Nothing New.
- "You can search the database by name or location, and yes, there are a fair number of entries for California -- 24 pages worth." Are You in the Lousy Tipper Database?
- "Pouring a liter of lager with your wings won't exactly result in a Michelin three-star meal, but superficial flavors will fall in line like Tetris pieces to build and unlock even bigger, more harmonious flavors." Beer Pairing: Little Bear Grilled Cheese + Taps Biere de Garde.
- "It is the most engaging celebrity biography we've read in years, even if we're pretty certain Child would laugh, and rather loudly, at our "celebrity" word choice." Books: Dearie, The Remarkable Life of Julia Child + Happy 100th Birthday Julia!
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!