Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 8/6 - 8/10
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "For Mexican, I go to My Taco a lot. It's near my house in South Pasadena. The food there is really good and fresh and well prepared. Jonathan Gold wrote about it a couple of times for their carne asada fries, but I don't order that and I don't let my kids order that." Where the Chefs Eat: Providence's Michael Cimarusti.
- "The very first drink my father ever made for me -- the first drunk not behind his back in some friend's basement but in our basement, with him -- was a shandy." Summer Drinks, Part III: The Shandy.
- "Take the following (mostly unscientific) multiple-choice quiz to figure out your picnic mojo." Pop Quiz: What's Your Picnic Style?
- "Iowa restaurant veteran and beef straw inventor Ben Hirko says he got the idea after a customer brought a few beef jerky sticks into a bar where he was working. He began experimenting with homemade versions and eventually found a business partner who shared a similar Bloody Mary edible straw dream." Beef Jerky Bloody Mary Straws, A Brunch Game Changer?
- "The protest, on Aug. 30 of that year, was the first of several at Carl's Jr. locations around Greater Los Angeles." Carl's Jr. Was Boycotted in 1989 -- Fast Food Protests Are Nothing New.
- "You can search the database by name or location, and yes, there are a fair number of entries for California -- 24 pages worth." Are You in the Lousy Tipper Database?
- "Pouring a liter of lager with your wings won't exactly result in a Michelin three-star meal, but superficial flavors will fall in line like Tetris pieces to build and unlock even bigger, more harmonious flavors." Beer Pairing: Little Bear Grilled Cheese + Taps Biere de Garde.
- "It is the most engaging celebrity biography we've read in years, even if we're pretty certain Child would laugh, and rather loudly, at our "celebrity" word choice." Books: Dearie, The Remarkable Life of Julia Child + Happy 100th Birthday Julia!
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.