Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 8/29-9/2
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Pan-fried sand dabs with succotash? A big melon salad with strips of prosciutto and a little lemon verbena? Spaghetti tossed with the orange Juliet tomatoes from Harry's Berries sauteed just until they split and release their sweet juice?" What Does a Restaurant Critic Cook at Home?
- "You can keep the Mayo-Potato pizza in Japan, though." Domino's To Open Pizza Shop on The Moon.
- "In a neighborhood as heavy on Persian culture and cuisine as the Kosher Corridor, it shouldn't be so hard to find a good kebab. It shouldn't be, but it often is." Kabab Mahaleh: Kosher Corridor's Best Cheap Eats.
- "Large-scale, photo-driven books tend to conjure images of Impressionist landscapes and Sierra Club-worthy polar bears. Pretty, but also pretty boring after the initial flip-through." Menu Design in America Is A Must See + The Taschen Launch Party.
- "'Umami, to be honest with you, irritates the shit out of me. It does.'" Q & A with Monica May and Kristen Trattner of Nickel Diner: Girl on Girl Food + Maple Bacon Donuts on Skid Row.
- "One guess on how to observe either National Guacamole Day (September 16) or National Beer Day (April 7th)." Support Your State: Drink California Wine During CA Wine Month.
- "It's the attack of zombie Killer Shrimp! The dearly-departed restaurant resurrects tomorrow, September 1." Killer Shrimp v 3.0 Launches Tomorrow in Marina Del Rey.
- "The dude at the cash register asks for your name when you order, and your lunch -- at the moment, Ink is only a lunch place -- will be served in an ink-black paper sack with your name written on it in silver, as if you were the luckiest girl in the second grade." Voltaggio's Ink.Sack: Avant-Garde Lunch Packed by a Top Chef Champ.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.