Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 8/22-8/26
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "A well-made molcajete makes Korean dolsot bibimbap look as if it were designed by a Boy Scout troop." Where to Get a Good Westside Molcajete: The Entrée, Not the Vessel.
- "Additionally, you can reinforce their already-rich, pork-bone broth even further by asking for the deluxe kotteri soup, if you're the sort who wears a "Pork Fat Rules" t-shirt to your cardiologist's office." Ramen Yamadaya Opens In Culver City This Saturday.
- "There was only one Solo in the saga, of course, but the tray allows you to make re-create the scene seven times, with one large (3.5 inch) and six small (1.75 inch) molds." Molecular Gastronomy in a Galaxy Far, Far Away: The Han Solo Frozen in Carbonite Ice Cube Tray.
- "And not many libraries have an elephant head with grandly curving tusks mounted high on one wall." The Last Bookstore: Let's Hope It's Not + A Recipe for Ma Maison's Shrimp with Mustard.
- "Warning: alcohol, profanity and tablescapes ensue." Top 5 Sandra Lee Videos: A Look into the Governor's Mansion, Maybe.
- "We get the idea that some graphic undercover stacks-of-pigs factory farm footage might pair well with stacks of wriggling human flesh in an undergraduate feminist theory paper, but we don't get how the combination will attract an actual following." PETA's Latest Pairing: Porn and Animal Cruelty.
- "The to-the-point and somewhat NSFW-named Fuck You Yelper is, by its own definition,'an exploration of the douchbaggery idiots commit when enabled with an internet connection, enough money for a meal, and a sense of entitlement.'" Fuck You Yelper: The Tumblr That Turns the Tables.
- "What the great man does in the Oscar off-season." The Kardashian Wedding Menu: Courtesy of Wolfgang Puck.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.