In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "If one's national bard writes a poem to a dish consisting of chopped-up offal cooked in a sheep's stomach together with oatmeal and spices and secured with a curious pin, then that dish must be authentically national." Keep Your Hands Off Our Haggis.
- "Yes, some organic foods will be higher in some nutrients than some conventional foods. But so what? Customers who can afford to buy organic foods are unlikely to be nutrient deficient. What's at stake in the furor over this issue is market share." Marion Nestle in Food Politics.
- "Try to forget you're overlooking Santa Monica Blvd. and pretend it's a beach resort, which shouldn't be a problem after the first drink." Pat Saperstein on Mexico Restaurante y Barra.
- "We all know that income and education are strongly associated with obesity, but an interesting new study shows that debt--independently of these other factors--increases the probability of being overweight or obese." Christy Harrison in Gourmet.com.
- "You will have heard Cecchini recite a canto or two of Purgatorio, declaimed in the way Chick Hearn might have done it if he'd spent more time in Tuscany." Jonathan Gold on Dario Cecchini.
- "Apparently robots are very good at timing the boiling of the noodles and measuring out very accurate amounts of toppings," from Robots Make Ramen: Japanese Noodle Shop, Staffed by Robots.
- "I signed him up so we could find out who was saying he shut the restaurant one night because he was in a bad mood," from Chefs Who Tweet: From Knives to Pacojets to iPhones.
- "Of course, like non-pee-based fertilizers, urine-fertilizer is not a substitute for actually watering your tomatoes," from This From Finnish Researchers: When in Drought, Pee on Your Tomatoes.
- "At least a standoff has been ended without calling in Bill Clinton," from 'Taco Truck' Diplomacy Ends Standoff.