Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 8/2-8/6
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Is there caramel soufflé for dessert? There is always caramel soufflé for dessert." First Bite: There Will Always Be a Caramel Soufflé, or Ludobites 5.0 and Beyond.
- "As of 10 a.m. today, Old Town shoppers, itinerant off-duty baristas, embedded Pasadena food writers and refugees from the Rose Bowl now have a place to order an excellent macchiato, on Colorado Boulevard." Intelligentsia Coffeehouse Opens in Pasadena.
- "Ultimately, they do have one thing going for them: if you close your eyes and eat the food, you can easily imagine yourself sitting in an airport." LAX Update: Airport Food Still Tastes Like Airport Food.
- 'They're probably eating it right now,' said Obama." Happy Birthday Mr. President: Secret Service Vetoes Birthday Cake.
- "But now, thanks to Japanese cell phone accessory-maker Strapya, your iPhone can take on a freakishly-realistic resemblance to the food you actually prepare in your kitchen too." Japan's iPhone Food Cases: Your Phone as Bento Box.
- "It's sort of the grey worsted suit of the beer world." Orval: Beer Recommendations From Golden State's Jason Bernstein.
- "The interior is said to be "created in a spirit of 50's of the last century," which must refer to mid-century Americana and not Soviet-era collectivism, gulags and the last years of Stalin's rule." Taste of a Magazine: Condé Nast-themed Restaurants.
- "Aziz Ansari's favorite chicken franchise is coming right to the heart of Los Angeles."Chick-fil-A Comes to Los Angeles: First 100 Get Free Chicken for a Year.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.