Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 8/13 - 8/17
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "By the end of the day your palate will be scrambled, your liver probably beginning to fail, and any remaining resources will be so depleted that you can only fall into the generous arms of your DD or Metro Operator." L.A. Craft Beer Crawl Survival Guide: See 1,999 of You There.
- "It sounds like torture to me, but if anyone wants to buy me a ticket (and a beverage package -- duh) I will go and write the best Top Chef cruise story of all time." Howdy, Sailor ... It's Top Chef, the Cruise!
- "Cutting on it is like a fun house mirror at an amusement park ... Don't waste your money." Q & A With Lisa McManus, America's Test Kitchen's Gadget Guru: OXO Tongs (Yes), the Garlic Rocker (No) + Why 9-Year-Old Girls Should Have Strawberry Hullers.
- "That or my definition of "not too expensive" is way off, and I'm too poor to be asking." Wine Whine: What Does "Not Too Expensive" Mean To You? How About To Your Sommelier?
- "However, Bon (new nickname: Bon Bon) admitted that the finished product has a bit of a fruity aftertaste." Scientists Create Low-Fat Chocolate With Juice.
- "And yet, even if such a drink would be perfect for the summer weather, the pair worried that they would be ridiculed, laughed out of the coffee community and be forever known as "those idiots making coffee soda." Plow & Gun Coffee: Fresh Beans + Coffee Soda at the Altadena Farmers Market.
- "Child lays down some smooth crooning about plump chickens, roasted potatoes and -- merde! -- hot chocolate truffles." Julia Child's 100th Birthday + PBS' Auto-Tune Remix.
- "There are people who object to the very idea of being a flexitarian, and therefore to the existence of the word." To which we suggest that you see also: "'foodie.'" New Words Added to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary: Gastropub, Craft Beer + Lesson on Semantics.
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.