In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "After last year's brouhaha, you'd think Señor Bayless would have given up on this." Ask Mr. Gold: Señor Bayless + Where To Eat Regional Mexican Food in L.A.
- "To quote a stranger who jumped in our conversation, 'Phở? That's just the beginning.'" Venn Food Diagrams: L.A.'s Idea of Vietnamese Food vs. What Vietnamese Really Eat.
- "Soul Daddy arrived on the American fast casual dining scene the same way the reality show responsible for its existence arrived on television: haltingly, half-heartedly, with no panache and no clear vision." Soul Daddy: Why It Failed.
- "If there is one thing hipsters love more than cheap wine (read: irony), it is expensive gadgets for transporting cheap wine on their bicycles (read: elaborate irony)." Food Gadgets for Hipsters: The Bicycle Wine Rack.
- "The Surrealist artists used non sequitur to express what they were feeling." Q & A With Red Medicine's Jordan Kahn: Food as Art, Abstract Oddities + Why Vietnamese Food.
- "Even without getting price involved merely the word 'Chardonnay' can start a (polite, of course) wine bar fight. Summer Wine Deals: Five Picnic Friendly Wines.
- "Even Heidi Klum with her gazelle legs would look like a complete cow extracting herself from a packed communal table." Op-Ed: Against Communal Tables.
- "Do any of them boast the environmental commitment to owl preservation that Hooters does? Didn't think so." Hooters Opening in Downtown LA.