Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 7/5-7/8
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "After last year's brouhaha, you'd think Señor Bayless would have given up on this." Ask Mr. Gold: Señor Bayless + Where To Eat Regional Mexican Food in L.A.
- "To quote a stranger who jumped in our conversation, 'Phở? That's just the beginning.'" Venn Food Diagrams: L.A.'s Idea of Vietnamese Food vs. What Vietnamese Really Eat.
- "Soul Daddy arrived on the American fast casual dining scene the same way the reality show responsible for its existence arrived on television: haltingly, half-heartedly, with no panache and no clear vision." Soul Daddy: Why It Failed.
- "If there is one thing hipsters love more than cheap wine (read: irony), it is expensive gadgets for transporting cheap wine on their bicycles (read: elaborate irony)." Food Gadgets for Hipsters: The Bicycle Wine Rack.
- "The Surrealist artists used non sequitur to express what they were feeling." Q & A With Red Medicine's Jordan Kahn: Food as Art, Abstract Oddities + Why Vietnamese Food.
- "Even without getting price involved merely the word 'Chardonnay' can start a (polite, of course) wine bar fight. Summer Wine Deals: Five Picnic Friendly Wines.
- "Even Heidi Klum with her gazelle legs would look like a complete cow extracting herself from a packed communal table." Op-Ed: Against Communal Tables.
- "Do any of them boast the environmental commitment to owl preservation that Hooters does? Didn't think so." Hooters Opening in Downtown LA.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.