Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 7/23 - 7/27
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Of course there's never a reason to eat a doughnut. No amount of self-delusion will allow you to believe that fruit filling is a dose of vitamins for the day. " 10 Best Doughnuts in Los Angeles.
- "I know, you'd think it wouldn't work. But I've taught baking for so long, to so many students, I can tell right away when I look at a croissant what went wrong." Q & A With Culinary Instructor Colette Christian: Culinary School Evolution, Home Cooks + Her New Online Croissant Class.
- "Riesling is the noble white grape of Germany, adopted by the rest of us as one of the most exhilarating varieties in the world, a thing that many Americans have been somewhat slow to grasp." The Summer of Riesling: Los Angeles Edition.
- "In fact, everyone can not only pull a great shot but also can disassemble the espresso machines, a useful skill in a machine-driven industry." Cafecito Organico: Point Dume + the World.
- "Ha's Apple Farm doesn't so much sell them as curate them, with gangly clumps displayed delicately on individual plates, limiting the need for direct human contact and keeping the dark purple rounds of fruit dusted with their natural bloom." What's In Season at the Farmers Market: Kyoho Grapes.
- "For their part, the militant gay groups are planning a national kiss-in that will take place at all Chick-fil-A locations on August 3." Hollywood Chick-fil-A Addresses Controversy (Sort Of) + 3 Cities Oppose The Chain.
- "Not too long ago, many Angelenos had never heard of a "gastropub." (Some of us confused it with "gastropod" -- a snail or slug with one big foot doubling as a stomach.)" Casey Lane's The Parish Opens Friday.
- "'We don't have a lot of competition in Eagle Rock, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well we do. We kind of do our own thing. We succeed at what we do, or we don't.'" The Oinkster Goes to Hollywood: Andre Guerrero to Open a Second Oinkster.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Starry Kitchen Is Returning With a Pop-Up Restaurant That Comes to You
- L.A. Weekly's Brunch at the Races Brings the Best Meal of the Day to Santa...
- David Asprey Wants You to Drink Coffee With Butter. Some Dismiss His Science (VIDEO)
- Little Shanghai's Dumplings Are the Only Constant at This Rowland Heights Food Court