Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 7/19-7/23
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Even the third or fourth time around, Fu-ga seems like a discovery, a small piece of a better downtown preserved 20 feet underground." First Bite: The Accidental Bar, or Discovering Fu-ga in Little Tokyo.
- "For a mock-communist truck operating under the tagline 'Subsidized Good Food for a Better America,' they're certainly employing the basic principles of capitalism quite successfully." Pyongyang North Korean Food Truck: Just a Game.
- "Bánh mì may be the only good thing to come out of a century of colonialism in Vietnam." Best Bánh Mì: Buu Dien in Chinatown.
- "I've never run two restaurants at one time; when I opened Animal, I'd never run one restaurant." Jon Shook & Vinny Dotolo's Neighborhood Expansion Plan.
- "Sipped in small amounts, as you would a whiskey, The End of History will last much longer than your typical pint of 5.5% brew. And the tartan-draped stoat will last forever." The End of History: World's Highest ABV Beer + Your Own Personal Tartan Stoat.
- "Mention Mr. Beef to any Chicago transplant and you'll need to give them a moment to compose themselves." Chicago's Mr. Beef Opens on the Venice Beach Boardwalk.
- "But, hey, if you could put a pool table into your place of work, wouldn't you?" Waterloo & City's New Wreck Room: Blood Pie & Darts.
- "'They ran out of there,' said Röckenwagner yesterday, over coffee outside his Arizona café, of the former occupants, who left the building strewn with payroll records and press clips."Musical Bakery Chairs: Changes at Röckenwagner.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.