Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 7/16 - 7/20
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Summer drinking is an endurance sport, after all, requiring stamina to get to sundown without collapsing in a heap on the passenger seat." Summer Drinks, Part II: The Americano.
- "There is so much wrong with this casting decision I don't even know where to begin." Please God Don't Let Gwyneth Paltrow Play Gabrielle Hamilton in Blood Bones & Butter.
- "Parsley root is one of those "big in Europe, rare in the United States" vegetables, though even in Europe it's only common in the eastern part of the continent." What's in Season at the Farmers Market: Parsley Root.
- "The pudding itself is sealed with a brittle carapace of burnt sugar, an impressively thick strata of bronze that does not so much shatter when you crack it as provide some lesson in geology." 78: Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding at The Hungry Cat.
- "Then, shortly after their announcement, the trio vanished from the scene like dissipating hardwood BBQ smoke." Seoul Sausage Update: The Great Food Truck Race, Their New Restaurant + Buying Equipment With Bed Bath & Beyond Coupons.
- "Sometimes you get on Yelp to figure out which kabob place within three miles of the Nuart Theater won't serve you gray lumps on a stick and you read things that make you laugh until your face hurts." Top 5 Ways to Promote Your Restaurant: Flavor Flav + Yelp Abuse + Samples.
- "Edge peppers the recipes with sidebars on his tasting escapades, like traveling to L.A. during the Auto Show, which at the time was featuring a Kogi-inspired hybrid Scion (a refrigerator where the back seats once were, a sink in the passenger seat rear door)." Cookbook Review: The Truck Food Cookbook + an Oatmeal Cookie Recipe.
- "In other words, this is a show for those annoying friends of yours who invite you over so they can show off their fancy kitchen and their impressive wine collection and snicker at you as you mispronounce the rare ingredients they incorporate into their snobby, delicious food." Fame-Seeking, Bobby Flay-Impressing Home Cooks Wanted.
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.