Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 7/12-7/16
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "At least once a month, I get an email from anguished travelers wondering where they can find cao lau around here. I can do nothing for their hunger." First Bite: Pho Tacos? Yep, Pho Tacos at Xoia in Echo Park.
- "But there are also ten other flavors, including beef bearnaise, and one topped with chunks of kebab, a common pizza topping in Sweden, but which still sounds like the kind of thing you'd grab if you were wandering through a 7/11 just after getting high." Billys Pan Pizza: Comfort Food For The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
- "TJust don't get us started on lump versus briquettes." Choosing Sides: Flour or Corn Tortillas?.
- ""After I finished laughing," said David, "I said okay. That sounds like fun. What the heck?'" Michael David, Former Executive Chef of Comme Ça: The Accidental Ground Meat Specialist.
- "Gimmicky? Yes, absolutely. But considering that all proceeds go to the City Year charity and that L.A. is the fifth city to partake in Honest Tea's experiment, it's also a chance to get competitive." How Honest is L.A.? Honest Tea's Pop-Up Store Puts SoCal Ethics to the Test .
- "There are many good reasons for California to legalize marijuana, not least being that it's cheaper to drive to Mar Vista, say, than it is to fly to Amsterdam, and because one wonders what the folks who design Intelligentsia's high-strung coffee palaces could do with a pot café." Food Union Supports California Pot Legalization.
- "Much of the year, the word keg almost smells like light beer-soaked frat house furniture." Summer Kegs: A Tap Line Straight To Your Fridge .
- "Imagine being one of those people who dreams up reality television ideas somewhere in a conference room, take-out cartons lined up like stalled traffic along a landscape of iPhones and notepads. A roadside stream of spilled coffee. Plastic spoons like stop signs." The Great Food Truck Race: 7 Trucks, $50K, and A Food Network Conference Room.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.