In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
- "And try not to slug the cop who is in the process of ticketing your car. That sort of thing is frowned upon in California." First Bite: Papaya King Brings Late-night Hot Dogging to Hollywood.
- "No word on whether Duff Light, Lady Duff, Raspberry Duff, Tartar Control Duff, Henry K. Duff's Private Reserve, Duff Stout and Duff Zero are available." Duff Beer from The Simpsons is Real.
- "Luther made you feel as if you were part of a larger continuum, a better, more romantic Los Angeles where green goddess dressing was on every menu and Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart still roamed the sunbaked streets." Joan Luther, Longtime Restaurant Publicist, Dies at 83.
- "Admittedly, parsing the superiority of one ice cream vs. another at this exalted level is as easy as splitting electrons." 30 Scoops in 30 Days: Carmela Ice Cream (Day 7).
- "There are no "Guess what I did today in the kitchen!!!" exclamation point moments here, meaning that buttermilk fried rabbit recipe was not included for the online gastronomic show, but because Shaw hunts rabbits and needed a recipe to cook up a particularly tender young hare." Cookbook Review: Yeah, You Want To Hunt, Gather, Cook With Hank Shaw.
- "It's nothing you didn't already know, but new research from Australia has found that if you're hyped up on caffeine from a few cups of coffee, you may hear things that aren't really there." Study Links Coffee to Hallucinations.
- "There is also, well, free food and sex advice involved." Top 10 Local Burger Condiments.
- "Imagine you're a cake decorator who finds yourself inscribing 'Happy 12th Birthday' in icing across a cake made to look like naked breasts. Would you stop and think, 'Wait, this seems inappropriate.'" Hooters vs. NOW: The Battle Over Breast Cake.