Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 6/25 - 6/29
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "'You can always spot people who don't cook because they think that pancakes are made with butter,' she said." An Elegy for Nora Ephron: Pancakes, Bakery Dreams + the Strawberry Ambrosia Fraud.
- "I just don't understand the obsession with authentic as opposed to, you know, delicious." The Problem With the Best, Most Authentic Food.
- "Then we started traveling and Henry showed me what good beer could taste like. I was like, 'it doesn't taste like piss!'" Q & A with Henry and Adriana Nguyen of Monkish Brewing Co.: Opening a Brewery in L.A., Feminist Beer + Gambling in Vegas.
- "Why do we live in L.A.? So we can go to a bare-bones restaurant in a Hollywood-adjacent strip mall surrounded by traffic for what Don Felix calls 'Fine Peruvian Food.'" 15 Great Peruvian Restaurants in Los Angeles.
- "Prior studies have explained why everyone from Truman Capote to Otis Redding loved cigarettes with their coffee: Coffee and alcohol, among other foods, enhance the tobacco flavor." Fruits and Vegetables May Help Smokers Kick the Habit.
- "These are sticky, hard, interesting conversations to have, but it seems like Huang is determined to have them, 'don't go there' be damned." Eddie Huang Takes on Marcus Samuelsson: Plus Issues of Authenticity, Race + Govind Armstrong's Post & Beam.
- "But perhaps the ultimate Chaos Muppet Restaurant is The Bazaar." Chaos Muppet Restaurants vs. Order Muppet Restaurants.
- "Even at the finest Koreatown spas, the ones where old dudes sit in saunas until their skin is as red as clay, there's a good chance that you'll be able to order a bowl of naneng myun before someone hands you a towel." 84: Mool Naeng Myun at Yu Chic Naeng Myun.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.