Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 6/25 - 6/29
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "'You can always spot people who don't cook because they think that pancakes are made with butter,' she said." An Elegy for Nora Ephron: Pancakes, Bakery Dreams + the Strawberry Ambrosia Fraud.
- "I just don't understand the obsession with authentic as opposed to, you know, delicious." The Problem With the Best, Most Authentic Food.
- "Then we started traveling and Henry showed me what good beer could taste like. I was like, 'it doesn't taste like piss!'" Q & A with Henry and Adriana Nguyen of Monkish Brewing Co.: Opening a Brewery in L.A., Feminist Beer + Gambling in Vegas.
- "Why do we live in L.A.? So we can go to a bare-bones restaurant in a Hollywood-adjacent strip mall surrounded by traffic for what Don Felix calls 'Fine Peruvian Food.'" 15 Great Peruvian Restaurants in Los Angeles.
- "Prior studies have explained why everyone from Truman Capote to Otis Redding loved cigarettes with their coffee: Coffee and alcohol, among other foods, enhance the tobacco flavor." Fruits and Vegetables May Help Smokers Kick the Habit.
- "These are sticky, hard, interesting conversations to have, but it seems like Huang is determined to have them, 'don't go there' be damned." Eddie Huang Takes on Marcus Samuelsson: Plus Issues of Authenticity, Race + Govind Armstrong's Post & Beam.
- "But perhaps the ultimate Chaos Muppet Restaurant is The Bazaar." Chaos Muppet Restaurants vs. Order Muppet Restaurants.
- "Even at the finest Koreatown spas, the ones where old dudes sit in saunas until their skin is as red as clay, there's a good chance that you'll be able to order a bowl of naneng myun before someone hands you a towel." 84: Mool Naeng Myun at Yu Chic Naeng Myun.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.