Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 6/18 - 6/22
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Sorry England and Germany -- if the American craft beer revolution owes its adventurous and hoppy spirit to any country's brewing tradition, it's Belgium's." Top 5 Belgian IPAs: More Fun With European Hops.
- "But the fact is there's a large dining public who want to know if their trip to that new hyped restaurant is going to be as awesome for them as it is for their carnivore compatriots, or if their options are going to be a salad and some half-assed pasta dish they could have made at home." The Undercover Vegetarian: Ink.
- "'What did you expect? I'm cooking in a fucking bakery.' A boring cookbook this is not." LudoBites, the Cookbook: Pre-Order Now + a Recipe for Ludo's Foie Gras Miso Soup.
- "Are you listening, foragers? This is one plant you don't have to worry about over-harvesting." What's in Season at the Farmers Market: Purslane.
- "Maybe you'll convince Grandma to add some gochujang to next year's holiday brisket." 86: Galbi Jjim at Soban.
- "For the less sous vide obsessed -- or perhaps simply budget conscious -- Nathan Myhrvold's follow-up title will be released in October (!)." Coming Soon: Modernist Cuisine At Home, The (Sort of) Affordable Follow-Up To Modernist Cuisine.
- "The name is sort of an Anglican inside joke, implying that a conniving Welshman might try to swindle by insisting your savory cheese is actually made with rabbit (the British had an odd habit of deliberately misnaming their foods; "Bombay duck" is really fish; "mock turtle soup" is made from calf's head)." The Pikey: Hollywood's Riff on the London Blues.
- "Legend has it that Napoleon's troops referred to it as 'the Champagne of the North,' while more contemporary imbibers have described it favorably as the 'lemonade of beers.'" Drink This Now: Strand Brewing's Ito-Weisse.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.