Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 5/9-5/13
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Everybody knows what a deli is supposed to be: an enormous dining room, stinking of garlic, bolstered by corned beef and chicken in a pot, with giant halvah displays teetering by the cash register." First Bite: Smoked Salmon With SpongeBob at Moore's Delicatessan.
- "Didn't even know you had an excuse to drink, did you?" 10 Places to Celebrate World Cocktail Day.
- "One of our favorite cooking shows ever, right up there with the Galloping Gourmet when he was still a drunk, is finito." Noooooooooooo! Alton Brown to End "Good Eats."
- "As we got close, the stickers on the truck gave us pause not for their content (4/20 friendly, aids walk, breast cancer awareness, and the rainbow flag all have our full endorsement), but because they pushed the idea of this as a gringo-centric truck even further." Eat This Now: Al Pastor at El Flamin Taco in Echo Park.
- "Then again, we're talking about cocktail party fare on a stick, so perhaps a more traditional recipe approach was a wise move." Cookbook Review: Matt Armendariz's On A Stick!
- "The AnQi Phở is no piddling bowl of broth, noodle and tendon, gulped down in some Westminster dive at 2 a.m. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)" World's Most Expensive Pho Goes on Auction Block.
- "Now that supplies have stabilized, what should you stash away for the massive exodus from the city after next week's Armageddon or other unportended act of God?" Freeze-Dried Camping Foods Return: Just in Time To Escape From L.A.
- "(Editor's note: You might have noticed that Jonathan Gold has lately been using the term "foodist." Very cool. Very Mikhail Bakhtin.)" Cookbook Review: Is Scoop The Ultimate Ice Cream Book?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.