In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "Everybody knows what a deli is supposed to be: an enormous dining room, stinking of garlic, bolstered by corned beef and chicken in a pot, with giant halvah displays teetering by the cash register." First Bite: Smoked Salmon With SpongeBob at Moore's Delicatessan.
- "Didn't even know you had an excuse to drink, did you?" 10 Places to Celebrate World Cocktail Day.
- "One of our favorite cooking shows ever, right up there with the Galloping Gourmet when he was still a drunk, is finito." Noooooooooooo! Alton Brown to End "Good Eats."
- "As we got close, the stickers on the truck gave us pause not for their content (4/20 friendly, aids walk, breast cancer awareness, and the rainbow flag all have our full endorsement), but because they pushed the idea of this as a gringo-centric truck even further." Eat This Now: Al Pastor at El Flamin Taco in Echo Park.
- "Then again, we're talking about cocktail party fare on a stick, so perhaps a more traditional recipe approach was a wise move." Cookbook Review: Matt Armendariz's On A Stick!
- "The AnQi Phở is no piddling bowl of broth, noodle and tendon, gulped down in some Westminster dive at 2 a.m. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)" World's Most Expensive Pho Goes on Auction Block.
- "Now that supplies have stabilized, what should you stash away for the massive exodus from the city after next week's Armageddon or other unportended act of God?" Freeze-Dried Camping Foods Return: Just in Time To Escape From L.A.
- "(Editor's note: You might have noticed that Jonathan Gold has lately been using the term "foodist." Very cool. Very Mikhail Bakhtin.)" Cookbook Review: Is Scoop The Ultimate Ice Cream Book?