In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "I was never trying to make a statement about vegetarianism at Ubuntu, I was just trying to showcase the best ingredients I had available." Q & A With Jeremy Fox: Paper or Plastik, Prefabs, His New L.A. Restaurant + Life Post-Ubuntu.
- "And the chart may be handy beyond this upcoming Sunday: As your mom will no doubt remind you, every day is Mother's Day." Mother's Day Flowchart: Where to Take Your Mom for Brunch.
- "The cure for diabetes might be ... candy?" Black Licorice Found to Fight Diabetes.
- "Apparently it served as a pseudo-stress reliever; the face-melting burn of pure capsaicin stimulates the release of feel good endorphins, buoying your mood when paired with an equally potent bottle of soju." Spicy Food Fight: Fukuburger vs. Kalbi Burger.
- "If you wanted to rank L.A. courthouses by approximate distances to good food -- places to console your stomach before or after, say, dealing with a moving violation or outstanding warrant -- the monolithic Superior Court building in Van Nuys would easily rank near the top." Takatis Pollo a la Brasa: Sanguchon in the San Fernando Valley.
- "A bonus: That "beer alcohol content" chart inside the back jacket cover should come in handy right around halftime." Cooking + Drinking: Three New High-Alcohol Cookbooks.
- "Of course, the odds of a guy who was cryogenically frozen during the 1940s knowing what shawarma is might be a long shot." 'The Avengers'' Shawarma Bump + Where to Feed Your Craving.
- "For the record, the cricket sauce tasted remarkably like soy sauce, maybe with a hint of fish sauce." Rene Redzepi and Lars Williams at UCLA: Seaweed Ice Cream + Cricket Sauce.