In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "What is a fake restaurant, exactly? Is it a place like Happy Family, serving kung pao chicken whose fowl is carefully crafted from gluten, or like the celebrity hangout Philippe, itself an imitation of an imitation of an imitation, where the scallion pancakes taste like fourth-generation photocopies of a scallion pancake?" Ask Mr. Gold: Finding an Authentic Fake Restaurant in L.A.
- "We were once dumb enough to ask about the Cleveland steamer, so "meat purse" just sounds to us like slang for something awful, but one budding designer is making the term a stylish reality." Meatcessorize with this Chanel Beef Jerky Purse.
- "At some point during your formative years, you took a silent oath of filial piety to never cheat on the first Italian market owners in your life by even looking for another one." Roundup of Favorite Italian Delis and Groceries: 16 Places to go for Deli Sandwiches, Cannoli, Spaghetti alla Bottarga, Etc.
- "Because nobody wants to be reminded of Bernie Madoff when they're reading their food labels." USDA Unveils New Food Chart: No More Pyramid Schemes.
- "If you're on this part of the 10 and need to get out of traffic, whether it be to fuel up before heading into a game of freeway Frogger or to take a break after emerging, traumatized, from that brutal derby, you're in luck." 10 Restaurants Off the 10 Between Downtown and the SGV Where You Can Escape Traffic and Regain Your Sanity.
- "Not to throw down, but in search of L.A's best espresso, Weekly food critic Jonathan Gold drank 27 shots. We were there when he showed up for dinner at a restaurant and burst into tears." Q & A With Coffee Geek Mark Lamberton + Blue Crow Media's Best Coffee In L.A. App.
- "Kang has done a nice job sprucing up the space, which once resembled a defunct laundromat." 30 Scoops in 30 Days: Scoops Westside (Day 1).
- "We love a good hike, but we're opting for the asphalt jungle this year." What's in Season at the Farmers Markets: Morels + Cherry Crop in Danger.