Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 5/21 - 5/25
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "If, however, you have neither a backyard nor a grill, you can participate in another great American tradition of finding someone else do the work for you." BBQ Flowchart: Where You Can Be Up to the Grill in Meat.
- "Noodle making is a dying art form; chefs who can properly make a bowl of mian stand out." 10 Best Handmade Chinese Noodle Restaurants in Los Angeles.
- "The glorious San Fernando Valley. Spatially vast, heavily populated, and wildly lacking in proper places to drink. Or so we thought." 8 Craft Beer Bars in the San Fernando Valley + Happy Hour Specials.
- "My original idea was to wear a Donnie Darko bunny head, or to have changed disguises every time the camera came back to me." Welcome to Los Angeles: YOU'RE SO UGLY!!!
- "Momofuku's research lab occupies 200 square feet of what used to be an office, where 'for the last two years we've really just been letting things rot,' said Chang." David Chang at UCLA: Umami Reverse Engineering + The Joy of MSG.
- "Of course, a Vietnamese restaurant opening may not mean as much to those on in the SGV, Chinatown, or down in Westminster's Little Saigon, but for those on the Westside a place without a title involving a number or a soup-based pun (Pho Show, we're looking at you) is something of a godsend." Nong Lá Café Brings Bun Bo Hue to West L.A.
- "What better way to celebrate the beginning of summer, end a barbecue, and to mark a holiday originated to commemorate fallen civil war soldiers, than with pie?" Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for Memorial Day: A Recipe.
- "Head chef Kenta Ikehata once described to us the great pains he took to master his pork bone broth, a recipe he spent years perfecting in Japan. It was like raising a kitten, he said." 97: Tsukemen at Tsujita L.A.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- A New Wave of L.A. Social Enterprises Serve Pizza and Coffee With Community in Mind
- SCI-Arc's Adorable Campus Cafe Is No College Cafeteria (And It's Open to the Public)
- In a City With Few Meat CSAs, Could This Box Be the Future of Grass-Fed Beef?
- Chef Phillip Frankland Lee's 10 Favorite San Fernando Valley Restaurants