Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 5/2-5/6
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "This is the South. You have to have liquor. This is not California." Q & A With Amber Huffman: Bourbon Blunders, Derby Cocktails + Cooking For Jess Jackson At His Kentucky Racehorse Farm.
- "Can 79 years of frankfurters and tropical juices be wrong?" Food Truck Friday: Papaya King Truck.
- "The rye adds just a hint of spiciness and grain, and though a bomber of this 7% brew may be a little much for the middle of the day, it's perfect for splitting with a fellow hophead or for sipping over the course of an evening on the stoop. Not that we endorse this apparently illegal practice, of course." Lawn Mowing Under the Influence: 5 Great Beers for Summer.
- "Ah, well. Enjoy your ballroom dancing. Sign a petition. Have a glass of chocolate milk." ABC Pulls Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.
- "Throughout human history, donkeys have been saddled with burdens too numerous to count, so being painted pink and forced to serve as the mascot for a terrible fast-food chain named after a colloquial term for "vagina" seems like the least of the species' worries." Pink Taco's Pink Donkey Angers Animal Rights Activists.
- "In other words, this a breakfast date with yourself and the paper (print edition) as opposed to a curbside snack." Eat This Now: Churros at Churros Calientes.
- "Wait, Feniger and Milliken do Mexican food?" Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken Go to OC, Show Real Housewives that Mexican Food is for More Than Just Pool Parties.
- "Stormtrooper flash-mobs? Please. Yoda masks? Most likely" Star Wars Day: May the Fourth (+ A Thematically Appropriate Cake) Be With You.
- "A Royal wedding cake, for all its multitiered architectural glory and leitmotif of garlands, lacked the visceral punch of a goat head triptych." Tacos de Cabeza: More Fun with Goat Heads + Test Kitchen Experiments.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.